Is there software that can digitize a photos so it can be edited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there software that can digitize a photos so it can be edited

I've looked at several computer design programs but haven't found one that can do what I want. I'm certain they are available, I just haven't run across it yet. Probably my search terms aren't correct. You guys have any ideas what might work?

I want to take a digital photo of something, say the front of my house, my truck or a machine tool, input it into the program and play with the design. Thanks in advance.

Ron

Fusion 360 can use photos as decals or as background. After scaling, draw your geometry over the top of the photo. Autodesk as well as other companies have software to generate 3d models from multiple photographs.

Comment

Virtually any "Photoshop" type software can do exactly that.

There's a free downloadable version called "GIMP" that is fairly popular, but I'm not a big fan. Photoshop[ is available for a $20 or so a month subscription, and you can cancel at any time. Paintshop Pro, Photoshop Elements, Painter, there's a dozen others of various popularity.

But, keep in mind that all of them have a fairly steep learning curve. They can DO all sorts of things, but you can easily get overwhelmed with trying to find the one tool or function that does what you want, go through all the options each tool is capable of, and even just to get that tool to do what you want.

Doc.
      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I use Photoshop to do this. There are PS clones that are shareware that can also do what you want.

Your title doesn't match your posting. The DIGITAL photo doesn't need to be digitized. If you're talking about old photos, then the scanner you use should have the software to operate.

Comment

I've used what came with my computer - Microsoft Paintbrush (Paint?) to remove a real estate sign next door from a photo of my house. Just cut and pasted a similar section of lawn over the sign.
          Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
          ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

It sounds like you want a 3D (viewable from all sides) object from a 2D (flat, from one viewpoint) photo. You can do that, but you have to change the photo of the tool to an outline of that tool, and then "extrude" it (assemble an object from lots of slices just like the outline).

There are 3D cameras that will make a 3D digital object of an object that is scanned, typically by spinning the object

In post #42 I detailed the process needed to get a 3d printed object from a picture.

I used GIMP to make the 2D outline from a JPG.
            I used selva3d to convert it online to a 3d model
            I used tinkercad (https://www.tinkercad.com/) to change the 3d dimensions to match what I needed.
            My buddy then took that and brought it into his 3D printer program to print the model.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by SLK001 View Post
              ...Your title doesn't match your posting. The DIGITAL photo doesn't need to be digitized. If you're talking about old photos, then the scanner you use should have the software to operate...
              Yup, if it's a digital image you're already there; if it's a print or negative you must have a way of scanning it to a digital
              format. There is no "software" that can turn a print or negative directly into a digital image. if you're talking about "editing"
              a photo that's a whole different story but I don't think that's what the OP is asking...
              Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                Yup, if it's a digital image you're already there; if it's a print or negative you must have a way of scanning it to a digital
                format. There is no "software" that can turn a print or negative directly into a digital image. if you're talking about "editing"
                a photo that's a whole different story but I don't think that's what the OP is asking...

I was refering to the software to run the scanner. My scanner uses ArtScan to run under PS when I scan objects.

Comment

Is there software that can digitize a photos so it can be edited

"Is there software that can digitize a photos so it can be edited "

What! Hmm? I must have missed a beat. Try what I use (Paint). So simple. JR

Comment

Yeah, you guys are right, my title and the body of my post didn't match. Some saw through the mismatch, thanks for that and the tips for software that would do the job.

Comment

We do this with sketchup all the time as a visual aid to showing sequences of work. We take a plan drawing of a building, scan it and crop it to the boundary size, draw a box in sketchup the actual size of the boundary and set the scanned drawing as a background. Now you can spend a bit of time in sketchup drawing over the lines in the drawing to produce features you can pull up out of the floor. There's no reason why you could not do the same for an elevation.
                      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I don’t want to sound like a dick, but your original post sounded to me like, “I want to type a letter, but want a piece of software that will let me edit the letter before I print it”.
                        Unless you’ve been in a cave for the past two to three decades, you surely meant something else?

Comment

That is what almost every digital painting program does. But the learning curve may be steep. If you want to move existing features around or copy and paste them, then that is fairly simple. But if you want to add new features, like a different kind of window or roof, then you are going to need to learn how to PAINT.

Microsoft Paint will do what you want and it is probably the easiest one to learn. But it is probably the most limited. It is very likely already on your computer so it is "free".

Paint.net is a better, basic program that has more features and it is also free.

Photoshop is the most often cited program for manipulating pictures but it has a lot of features and can take some time to learn and even more to master. You can do almost anything with it. The price is steep but you may be able to buy an earlier version or a discounted copy.

There are many, many more. The operative search terms are "paint", "photo", and others like that. Almost every camera maker has some kind of software for manipulating the photos that their cameras take.

Also many CAD programs can import a photo and perhaps allow you to manipulate them. You would have to ask about them individually.

You talk of digitizing the photo. That would only be necessary if you are starting with a print or a transparency. A digital photo is already digitized but you may have to change the file format depending on the program that you choose. Most cameras will store the photos in the JPG or JPEG format and most programs can accept them in that format. If you do actually need to digitize a printed photo then one of those five-in-one printers will be able to scan it and convert it to a photo format, probably JPG.

Your choice of program may depend on exactly what manipulations you want to perform on the picture.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

You all, except for Danlb need to take a reading comprehension class.

He wants to turn a 2D photo into a 3D MODEL, So that it can be used in what must be a 3D CAD program to make DESIGN changes. Not just scale or change colors, etc..

He will need either a step, iges, stl. etc. in order to do what he wants.

Pay attention boys!!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

As black forest said..

The op wants a reasonable, good, 3d model that can be edited from a flat pic.
                              Cannot be done.

From 2 cameras still pics offset by a known amount, a 3d model is easily built, and with very advanced sw not currently available, might make good 3d models.
                              Such sw is not for sale in 2018 at any price.
                              Note *good models* as in reasonable size in terms of MB, pixels, hexels, tesseracts and somewhat correct geometry.

The problem is that any real photo will be seen with noise.. and an attempt to digitise the noise results in vast numbers of "dust particles" or artefacts.
                              So eg a flat wall with uneven paint = 100% of all surfaces (just a Q of quality and resolution) will not become a flat surface but 100M pixels next to a wall with 200M bumps.

Endless teams with robotics, military, automation, self-driving cars, etc. are trying to improve this.
                              The real problem is that any good sw needs to be able to identify context and apply real-world rules to it, fairly well.

It might be that brute-force and some sw may solve it in the near future.
                              It might be possible for sw to quantify everything in a high-res pic in hexels (3d pixels, possibly with attributes like colour).
                              This might require around 1000-10.000 M objects from a 2k modern good high res picture (my Sony NEX 7 24M real pixels is one).
                              The current best 3d processors are graphics cards with parallel soft-programmed processors.
                              My NVIDIA 500 and 1000 cards, driving 2 2800x1200 displays, are an example.
                              About 150 processors on the newer better one, iirc.
                              It is still 2-3 gens behind the sota in processing power (2k$+ for the best cards).

Comment

Working...
                              X