Is there software that can digitize a photos so it can be edited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
    You all, except for Danlb need to take a reading comprehension class.
    Pay attention boys!!
    The boys are fine. Show me where the op says he wants to change 2d into 3d. Vague post.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter. View Post
      We do this with sketchup all the time as a visual aid to showing sequences of work. We take a plan drawing of a building, scan it and crop it to the boundary size, draw a box in sketchup the actual size of the boundary and set the scanned drawing as a background. Now you can spend a bit of time in sketchup drawing over the lines in the drawing to produce features you can pull up out of the floor. There's no reason why you could not do the same for an elevation.
      I also do this with both Sketchup and DesignCAD. Import the image, scale it, and "trace" over it to produce the model. In the case of a house I'd bring it 1st into Photoshop to use transforms to eliminate perspective artifacts.

Comment

I have Cutting Shop from Arbor Image.

www.arborimage.com/cutgshop.htm

It converts raster images to vector, DXF, for manipulation in CAD. The nicest thing about it is it doesn't give you a billion short line segments like most raster to vector conversions do.

As you might expect it does its best job with black and white line drawings. I don't recall ever needing to convert a photo.

Originally I bought it when I was doing architectural detailing and the pencil sketches I was working from, like for a finial, were at best not always symmetric side to side. I could convert the sketch to CAD and give the architect a choice of which side profile of the finial he wanted.

Comment

He wants to turn a 2D photo into a 3D MODEL, So that it can be used in what must be a 3D CAD program to make DESIGN changes. Not just scale or change colors, etc..

He will need either a step, iges, stl. etc. in order to do what he wants.

Pay attention boys!!
          Add yourself to the list because the technique I suggested produces just what (you say) he wants.
          Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
          Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
          Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

He wants to turn a 2D photo into a 3D MODEL, So that it can be used in what must be a 3D CAD program to make DESIGN changes. Not just scale or change colors, etc..

Pay attention boys!!
            See post #2

Comment

I use Agisoft Photoscan to generate rough 3D models for design purposes. I love these techniques.

Based on these renders I changed the design of the bench quite a bit.

This was simply a sketch, so I didn't aim for quality in the scan.

I used my iPhone for the pics ( better cameras and lenses give better results ), and didn't take the normal number of pictures.
              Speding the time to do it right yields some amazing results.

The texture really adds alot to the scan;

Here's the raw geometry. The blue squares indicate the solve camera positions ( where I took the pics from );

Here's are a couple arbitrary views with the simple 3D model integrated;

Comment

Really? Where does he say that? No where does he mention a 3D model.

Perhaps we should wait until he can clarify just what he really does want. The first step in solving a problem is to clearly state the problem. At least, that is what I was taught.

Pay attention boys!!
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I have a free app that will do it for you.

Go to www.123cad.net. Contact Brian. I will do it for free because the app is not ready yet for public use.

Comment

Working...
                  X