O/T: Any Chemists? Pure capsaicin dulution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Any Chemists? Pure capsaicin dulution

Yea, I am a hobby chemist from 12 years old. Chemistry set and the whole thing.

So fast forward I am also a food lover (cooking is chem).

I like spicy food, not to the point where you cant taste the food.

I bought a pound of capsaicin from Australia. Food grade.

Problem is it is inconsolable [sic] with water, most cooking mediums.

I have been running a test with six solvents. Water being one of them. A blind test of my own.

I made a blind log of my test. I wanted real numbers. I am odd like that, me and numbers.

To remove 1mg of the stuff to each of six glass tubes (5ml). Mix them and wait.

The problem with pure capsicum is it wont touch water. It is oil loving but not oil based.

Ironically it dissolves fine in alcohol, they say. I dont know, yet. I am still running my test.

My test is 6 vials and some time (three weeks soak). The solvents are all edible and sometimes healthy.

I have already peeked at my experiment. There is a winner. Most of the vials still had large chunks of (methyl-n-vanillyl nonenamide) {Wiki} in the solution.

There was one that was completely clear.

I know. I am a geek chemist. Then electricity. Then mechanics. JR

Oh, solly. No question. Just a story.
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Seeing how it dissolves in alcohol would be test #1 for me.

Comment

Soluble in alcohol or fats/oils but not water, correct - this is why it's wise for Vindaloo and Fahl lovers (including me) to have good strong beer available at the Indian restaurants! Lots of it!

I buy ready-made chilli oil, it's normally infused into olive oil, which is quite healthy and tasty in its own right

Dave H. (the other one)
      Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Out of curiosity, why would you buy pure capsaicin extract, which is the "essence of heat" for food use? I love spicy foods and the best part about making new and traditional dishes is to try different peppers and spices in their natural form. Each pepper has its own unique flavor and heat level. The varying flavors and spiciness of all the different peppers is what makes spicy gourmet foods interesting. I would think pure capsaicin is nothing but heat and no real flavor. I know it's used in pepper spray for bears and humans but that's not what you're using it for.

Comment

I used to like Jalapenos but not any more. I can't take the heat now. Any thing hotter than a can of Wolf brand chili (no beans) gets left uneaten. If it's hot enough to burn the tongue, I can't taste the food. I might as well be eating cardboard or dirt. Perhaps that's why food is hot in many countries--You don't want to taste the contents.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            I used to like Jalapenos but not any more. I can't take the heat now. Any thing hotter than a can of Wolf brand chili (no beans) gets left uneaten. If it's hot enough to burn the tongue, I can't taste the food. I might as well be eating cardboard or dirt. Perhaps that's why food is hot in many countries--You don't want to taste the contents.
            Amen to that!
            There is another reason to not eat hot, spicy foods: the indigestion that keeps you awake all night.
            Bill
            I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Kalsec, based in Kalamazoo, has been producing a vast array of spice extracts, including capsaicin, for decades. You might check out their offerings for ideas. The science of it, and how they deliver spices is interesting.

They also have put a lot of effort into studying and isolating the components of pepper heat. You know how some peppers heat the throat vs. tongue, time delay, etc. Flavor vs. pain.

Tongue mapping - perception of heat on the tongue over 6 minutes time:

https://www.kalsec.com/products/capsicum-extracts/

Comment

So I do not see the problem. Almost all food has oils, and that will "carry" the capsaicin. You can make up a solution, and dilute as needed. Where is the problem?

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I love spicy foods, but for some reason hate spicy versions of any chips, vegetable juices etc. that I've tried.

Never knew pure capsaicin was available, I'll have to look into it for some experimentation on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                    Amen to that!
                    There is another reason to not eat hot, spicy foods: the indigestion that keeps you awake all night.
                    Bill
                    Amen to that. How I miss the good old days when I could handle a good Bloody Mary.
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

While on the subject, folks have mentioned taste.

Capsaicin does not particularly add taste. The whole chile does, if for instance, roasted, or even if just added to the dish. It CONTAINS capsaicin, of course... that is a defense of the plant against you and any other critter who might eat the seeds, chew them up and prevent them from growing.

But there are a lot more tasty things in the chile, and you have your choice of what chile and how much you add. Everything from a mild jalapeno to a Carolina Reaper. Balance flavor against heat.

That powder might be pretty good for defending your flower garden against deer, or squirrels. Our tulips are just coming up, and the squirrels like to eat the flower petals. A good dose of capsaicin in oil applied to them might keep the critters from eating. No good against birds, though, apparently they do not have receptors for the capsaicin, and they can eat it without noticing anything.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

^True that^
                        I had a Nanday Conure that loved the left over peppers from our Kung Pow Chicken.
                        I can’t handle them.
                        Joe

Comment

im addicted to spicy food esp. using cayenne and im not talking the mild stuff im talking the 90K Hu's

iv cut back some when i realized i was starting to use it in everything - i think the epiphany came to me when i was making "hot salads" then it hit me --- WTF am i doing?

iv ate so much cayenne it hurt to pee, and no iv never had the clap or "gone to korea" or anything like that... talking pure internal pepper burn...

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. Here are some initial results. I still want to stir them with my vortex stirrer before testing.

The reason for the pure cap is to make a sauce base flavor and add heat as needed without affecting the flavor base.

I love fresh and dried chili peppers for flavor and heat. I grow my own jalapenos, habanero and serranos and make fresh sauce and dried flakes.

I dry the fresh peppers two ways. Naturally and they turn red and with a large dehydrator and they stay green. Two diff. flavors.

Oh, and I bought five pounds of carolina reapers from a reputable company. They are pretty scary to even handle but have a fruit like flavor. Good for certain typs of food.

The pure capsaicin is awful stuff to handle. Full respiratory, eye and skin protection.

When I had to move it from the shipping package to two mason jars I was extremely careful and wish I was wearing a tyvex suit. I was contaminated slightly and never want to do that again.

I broke it down to smaller sizes for handling purposes. JR

And now some pics!!!

Carolina Reapers, 5lbs.

Allepo and sichuan peppercorn. Very difficult to get until recently.

Home grown Jalapenos

Comment

Storage for capsaicin. My great artwork.

Two pint jars in here.

The test tubes of solvent and cap.

Comment

Working...
                              X