OT-TV, no picture,but have sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-TV, no picture,but have sound

Was watching news this morning, went to make some breakfast and when I came back, no picture. Very black screen, no backlight or anything. Have sound and can change channels (dish).

LG TV, about 4 years old. Simple or not?

Probably the power supply for the backlight. Might be fixable if just capacitors. Unfortunately televisions such as this frequently have power supply problems - just poor designs with cheap components.

Try shining a torch (flashlight) on the screen in a darkened room. If you can see a bit of picture, it confirms backlight failure.
    Bill

Comment

Burned out LEDs. If one goes, the entire backlight goes dark. Usually, the power supply is more bullet-proof than the LEDs - anyway, if the power supply goes out, the entire TV goes with it.

Can be done (I've done quite a few), but depends on your skill level. I'm a retired electrical engineer, so it is easy-peasy for me.

Comment

I had similar problems, turns out the cat chewed the HDMI cable.
        When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

A few years ago a flat panel TV kept flaking out. It would turn on and off at random times - at 3am, etc - and then blast out static. I finally installed a remote power kill switch, so it could be reset without climbing on a stool to reach the plug, and also so it could be turned completely off at night. I took the TV down and opened it up, thinking capacitor replacement might solve the issue (flat panels were more expensive then), but decided it wasn't worth messing with.

The microwave was also acting up - it would quit working in the middle of cooking.

Eventually the electric company showed up to replace the buried cable that runs along the street. It had been failing for a long while and the guys said it was extremely marginal. I'd only be guessing at how that manifests in power quality, but I assume it is leakage across the wires. Our "110v" typically runs high, like most - about 126V.

All of those problems were resolved when they installed the new cable. It's possible devices could have been damaged by the issues - especially "always on" electronics. They are particularly vulnerable.

Comment

Sounds like the excuse you've been looking for to buy a bigger screen Tv.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

OP's problem sounds similar to an HDMI cable that just needs reseating, and/or turn it off and on again. If your satellite, cable or TV can receive over air software updates from the supplier it may have had an upgrade to cater for 4k UHDTV which can alter the characteristics of the HDMI interface and render an old HDMI lead that was capable of handling the lower speed unable to handle the changes.

Comment

Naturally, check for loose cables first. Unplug and reconnect all of them just to be sure.

If it is a 25" or smaller, then it is probably not worth the cost or effort to try to repair it. Just go to Best Buy or Wal-Mart or wherever you prefer and get a new one. Prices have been dropping for the smaller ones. Know that all the cable companies are converting to all digital so you probably want two HDMI inputs if you ever want to use a DVD or BlueRay player.

For larger, more expensive ones, if you have any experience with electronic part replacement, you might try replacing the electrolytic capacitors in it. Just order all of them (DigiKey or Mouser) and change them all. Probably cost $25 to $50 dollars in capacitors and I would estimate a 50-50% chance of that fixing it. That's what I would do and I have fixed several TVs that way in the past several years.
                Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 04-15-2018, 03:50 AM.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                X