Clear All

• lakeside53
    replied
    definitely "fill in the blank"

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
    I can be as inconsistent as the next person...... and I even enjoy it. I am descended from three ethnicities that either like to argue, or are stubborn.....
    is this fill in the blank?....have to have the last post? You and Evan might be on the same family tree
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Don't drag me into this! I'm studiously NOT picking on Jerry. My ex, maybe, but not Jerry.

The other Dan

Leave a comment:

• Danl
    replied
    This MUST be the Bi-Weekly LET's pick on Jerry day!

I do enjoy this banter, especially when it stays on track and doesn't descend into name calling.

Dan L

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    What Dan said!

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    Read it again.... ethnicities are not characteristics like those two items listed. They are the cultures/peoples from which he is descended.
    Yeah, true. But the statement ended in ellipsis, which by definition means that something that should/could have followed was not stated. There was likely to be a third.

I had an ex wife who was quite proud of her extreme stubbornness. She was the only one who thought it was positive.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Ok, that's two; What's the third?

Read it again.... ethnicities are not characteristics like those two items listed. They are the cultures/peoples from which he is descended.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    I can be as inconsistent as the next person...... and I even enjoy it. I am descended from three ethnicities that either like to argue, or are stubborn.....
    Ok, that's two; What's the third?

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    ... I am descended from three ethnicities that either like to argue, or are stubborn.....
    And have the incessant need to always get in the last word.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    hey, you said "It ain;t worth wasting the electrons to argue over it....."
    I can be as inconsistent as the next person...... and I even enjoy it. I am descended from three ethnicities that either like to argue, or are stubborn..... I've listed them before so I need not repeat them.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-18-2018, 09:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    hey, you said "It ain;t worth wasting the electrons to argue over it....."

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Who said that? not me.

The reality is MOST power feeds do not convey the rate at all, and stuff still gets made.
    Sigh.......

No doubt that is so, no doubt that is so.... Your opinion is, of course, not binding on the rest of us. I find it reasonably good to have some general clue about the feed, which in my case is easy enough with a clock and a crank at 0.1" per rev, whenever I consider it appropriate.

If I provide myself with a power feed, I trust it will not excessively discommode you if I also provide myself a table of approximate feeds corresponding to various settings. I admit I will lose no sleep over any internal discomfort that table may cause you or others, however.

I had mentioned, as examples, that many manufacturers of serious industrial mills, for instance, provided built-in feeds of known and settable rates.... and that the feed rate in IPM at different settings is commonly listed in a table for lathes as well, to assist in deciding what rate will be good with the tool you are using.

You may feel free to ignore those, it is your right. You may cover those heathen idols up, or even go and rant at the graves of the designers who foolishly thought that providing tables of feed rate was useful.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-16-2018, 10:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    If you do that it's best integrated with some form of motor braking. Easy to do.

I had exactly that on my prior lathe which has a separate electromagnetic brake. Not only did it work well, it saved my ass a few times With care makes for really nice threading stops very close to a shoulder, closer that you can get without significant pucker.

Leave a comment:

• chipmaker4130
    replied
    Originally posted by JCByrd24 View Post
    . . .Some sort of stop/microswitch setup that stops the feed at a shoulder or something was also discussed, and that would be an added capability.
    OK, yeah, I was thinking about post #8 which suggested exactly that. I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    If they thought so, why do YOU insist that it is BETTER NOT TO KNOW the rate? You evidently need to go to some graveyards and tell those folks how stupid they were!
    Who said that? not me.

The reality is MOST power feeds do not convey the rate at all, and stuff still gets made.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 04-16-2018, 09:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X