apron seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apron seal?

hi,guys.ive been lurking here for a while,but this is my 1st post.i bought a 13x40lathe a few months ago,but only just realised there was no oil in the apron.when i filled it with ep90,most of it ran out slowly trough the backpart of the apron.is there some sort of replaceable seal in this?i'm fairly new to machining,slowly collecting more machinery;D.i've just started building a 5"gauge model steam locomotive.thanks.Hans.
    http://photobucket.com/register.php?...f=4d9befff2d02

http://photobucket.com/register.php?...f=4d9befff2d02
    p.s.can anyone tell me the makesr name of this lathe?The "bramley"name on the front is only a local distributor.thanx.

------------------
    Hans
    Hans

Just guessing, there's probably supposed to be a thin paper/fiber gasket if you're talking about flat mating surfaces. Or maybe you're filling it too full?
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hey,
      I'd love to see some pics of the locomotive in the works if you can get the photobucket thing figured out. Good luck Fred

Comment

I used a bead of silicone when I reassembled the apron gear box on my 15". Mine only uses about 2" of oil in the apron gear box.
        John

Comment

thanks for the info,guys.i will pull it apart some time,and see what's what.fred,i've only got the basic frame done so far,i'll put up a couple of pix shortly.hans
          Hans

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by laddy:
            Hey,
            I'd love to see some pics of the locomotive in the works if you can get the photobucket thing figured out. Good luck Fred
            </font>
            Matador! What I think Fred was meaning. Is that we can't see the pic's that you have already posted. We click on the link and go to photobucket but no pictures and it comes up with a message "account activated" but no pic's sorry

Comment

Hans, the oil is spilling from a hole at the back that corresponds to the handwheel posi, fill it up till it spills. There is no plug there, least not on my Lantaine, but I have plugged it with a grommet that has a breather hole in it
              Ken.

Comment

.......My 11" Logan has a sockethead pipe plug only about 3/4" above the bottom of the apron, and that's the oil level check. Pull it out and add oil till it just starts to drip out. Replace plugs and away you go.

Rick
                Son of the silver stream ..... Bullet caster.

Comment

Working...
                X