Wadkin/Delta Drill Press 300 hours later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin/Delta Drill Press 300 hours later

This is a Drill Press I designed and built,this site is kicking me out so will comment later.

More pics

Comment

the only word that comes to mind is awesome

Comment

What a great looking refurbishing, restore, re-purposing. Where did the drill heads come from?

Comment

This machine I built after searching for Commercial built Gang drill with moveable table in my price range.I found this Wadkin LS Industrial Router with compound table 30"X Travel 15" Y and 7" vertical travel.I bought a pallet of Delta Drill Presses with Foot switches from Richie Auctions and modified them for this application.This machine allows me to drill,debur and tap without removing peice from vise and do not have to do constant tooling changes.I incorporated a mount for Mag Drill for drilling those larger holes,by repositioning vise and simply rotating table.Table and head are powered ,swivelling table is done manually by lever on left side under table.All controls are up front and is very user friendly,been using it for couple years and is very handy to be able to do multiple functions.It weighs in at 2000lbs. And table and slides are designed very good with table locks for X and Y travel.

This is what I started with.
          Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 04-17-2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

beautiful!

Comment

Dale,

I'm impressed--looks really cool since you got it all painted up. I'm beginning to think you've got too much time on
              your hands. Need to get your butt back in a tractor seat.

You sure seem to be able to ferret out some neat ****. I'd never find half of the stuff you have around here. Next time
              I'm back there we'll have to plan a trip to an auction or something...
              Keith

Comment

Looks like a pretty Cerberus to me! Ha Ha!
                Bill
                I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Wonderful job.

The Wadkin part I understand........but what about the vintage Delta logos? I don't see anything vintage Delta.

And, what's inside the tall round heads on the drill units?

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
                    the only word that comes to mind is awesome
                    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    What a great looking refurbishing, restore, re-purposing. Where did the drill heads come from?
                    Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                    beautiful!
                    Thanks Guys it was long project that started in 2015
                    Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
                    Dale,

I'm impressed--looks really cool since you got it all painted up. I'm beginning to think you've got too much time on
                    your hands. Need to get your butt back in a tractor seat.

You sure seem to be able to ferret out some neat ****. I'd never find half of the stuff you have around here. Next time
                    I'm back there we'll have to plan a trip to an auction or something...
                    Thanks Keith we still have fields of white stuff,going to be very late seeding.Yes next time your out we will check one out.

Originally posted by Seastar View Post
                    Looks like a pretty Cerberus to me! Ha Ha!
                    Bill
                    My buddy's were calling it the Hydra,I had some different names for it that I can't say but 3 headed monster as it was consuming to much time.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                      Wonderful job.

The Wadkin part I understand........but what about the vintage Delta logos? I don't see anything vintage Delta.

And, what's inside the tall round heads on the drill units?
                      The Vintage Delta Decals where nicest looking ones I thought ,2 drill heads are Delta and middle one is a King.Your right they are not vintage but import drill heads,just liked the look.

Each drill head is powered by 1/2" hand drills,by the time I got stub shafts machined to allow the quill spline vertical travel it got pretty tall,I used 12mm Allen socket for coupling.The 7" tubes where salvaged from grain auger to hold switches and clean up appearance.

Comment

Remember not to use reverse on the two with the keyless chucks.
                        What are you going to use them for? My old firm scrapped several four banked drilling machines, there was nothing for them do.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          .................................................. .................................................. ..................................
                          Yeah, good point about the keyless chucks.

That's one reason I don't like keyless chucks, the other reason is they self tighten under heavy load. I always hate to have to put a pipe wrench on an expensive Albrecht chuck to loosen it when it's over tightened on a tough drilling job.

Long time ago I had about the same setup as shown here, except it was factory made by Delta. Three drill heads on a single table. First spot the hole, then drill, and finally tap the hole with the third head.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                            What are you going to use them for? My old firm scrapped several four banked drilling machines, there was nothing for them do.
                            I have been using the 550 for tapping and so far had no issues with Chuck loosening when backing out tap,I have not tryed left hand drill bit yet.Maybe low load on backing out tap.

This will be my Go to drill press just got rid of 22" floor model,after discovering taper point and spiral flute taps a few years ago I seem to tap a lot stuff that never would of before.
                            Originally posted by DR View Post
                            Yeah, good point about the keyless chucks.

That's one reason I don't like keyless chucks, the other reason is they self tighten under heavy load. I always hate to have to put a pipe wrench on an expensive Albrecht chuck to loosen it when it's over tightened on a tough drilling job.

Long time ago I had about the same setup as shown here, except it was factory made by Delta. Three drill heads on a single table. First spot the hole, then drill, and finally tap the hole with the third head.
                            Question about factory Gang drills,every one I looked at had a fixed table no X or Y travel just vertical travel was every thing jigs for specific jobs.

Here are pics of what is under tubes.

Comment

You HAVE to be joking, right? It looks so beautiful when it's all dressed up!
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X