Strong magnet source....cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strong magnet source....cheap

I had to burn a pile of old pallets, and now would like to get all the nails and staples out of the ashes. What's a source for a decent strength magnet to do this?

Free: Old hard drives

Comment

I've got a big magnet at on a stick I use for the same thing. I've been wanting to make a big electro magnet that would make it easier to pick up and drop, but havn't got around to it yet.... I got my magnet at a farm auction, but if I were starting from scratch I'd just drill a bunch of holes in a piece of alum/wood and epoxy in a bunch of neodymium magnets.

Comment

Welding ground magnet from Harbor Fright, I use one on my 4 leg cane & it's amazing what I find on it.

Comment

A speaker magnet on a stick. The "store bought" ones put the magnet at an angle so you do not have to be straight above area you are "sweeping".

I got one as a gift and after the first use I learned to wrap the magnet with paper shop towels and tape. When done using re-paper for the next adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            Welding ground magnet from Harbor Fright, I use one on my 4 leg cane & it's amazing what I find on it.
            I just had a funny image of you using that to get around on a ship in a storm - hanging onto your cane as it was stuck to the deck

Comment

Harbor Freight makes a short and long handled version with the magnet inside a plastic housing and a pull trigger in the handle.
              Pick up the nails, put over a bucket and pull the release.
              Nails fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
                .....I got one as a gift and after the first use I learned to wrap the magnet with paper shop towels and tape. When done using re-paper for the next adventure.
                A fairly stout cloth bag with a drawstring would be a lot easier. Not as easy as the plastic or non magnetic tube idea but a lot less bother than the paper and tape. When done loosen the drawstring and pull the bag off the magnet so it goes inside out. VOILA! And all the steel and iron is in the bag suitable for carrying to where you want to dump it.

A few old hard drive magnets secured to the end and lower sides of a 2x4 would certainly do the trick. Or buy some of the larger 1" or so Neodymium magnets and use them in a similar way with the cloth bag trick. And in this case you could use an old work sock (no holes please ) as the bag. Stir it around in the ashes and it should find most of the steel things. And making that will be a lot cheaper. And if you attach the magnets to some big flat washers glued or screwed into the wood you can remove the magnets carefully and use them for other things too.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

What ever magnet you decide on, Try and remember how hard it is to get metal shavings/dust off. You may want to cover it
                  with something that can be peeled off when done .. like a rubber glove or saran wrap.
                  John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Thanks gents! I don't have access to old hard drives, but I do have a HF very near an errand scheduled for this weekend! Thanks.

Comment

Don't know about cheap, but if you are looking for a big honkin neodymium magnet check out United Nuclear.

https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?...ex&cPath=70_71

Don't hurt yourself with these.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                        Don't know about cheap, but if you are looking for a big honkin neodymium magnet check out United Nuclear.

https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?...ex&cPath=70_71

Don't hurt yourself with these.
                        A 1" cube for $19. Hmmm. Could have fun with that.
                        Or maybe a 1.5" sphere...

-js
                        Last edited by Jim Stewart; 04-19-2018, 07:27 PM.
                        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

I have a rectangular magnet that was one of a bunch used to attach aluminum ladders to the inside of wind towers. It's about 8" by 2 1/8" by 1 1/8" with a single 1 1/8" long M10 x1.5 stud in the middle of one side. I have to be extremely careful about where I stick it or I have an incredibly hard time removing it.

I was gifted it from a friend who was gifted a few from the people who were building the towers; they had a huge number of them. On one of his we attached a steel tube (flattened on the end and bent at an angle) to the stud and occasionally we've use it to find small items in deep grass.

But to get back to the original question.

1-800miner's suggestion is the winner.

I've helped burn old pallets and used one to pick out the staples from the ash. You'll have to rake through the ash to be sure to raise them all to the surface, the magnets have to pretty well be touching them to glom onto them.

Comment

Many places are now selling round neo disc magnets in lots of 10 or 20 for not too bad of a price. I've seen these up to about 3/4 diameter and 1/8 thick- pretty common size. Glue a mess of these to a piece of square steel tubing. Make a channel from plywood or whatever with a gap that will allow the magnet strip to nest into it. You want to be able to raise and lower the magnet strip in this channel. Cover the outside of it with aluminum sheet so the magnets are never exposed to debris directly. If the base of this holder is wide enough you'll be able to raise the magnet strip without debris running up the sides and sticking to the magnets.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                            X