Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"What did you do today?" OT but phenominal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What did you do today?" OT but phenominal.

Today, I just returned home from having open heart surgery for aortic valve replacement...on Monday morning!

Three days and a wake-up.

Australian Cow valve too.

Now maybe I can sleep without having nurses hover, poke & prod every hour of the day.

I'll have to be on blood thinner for the next 3 months so have to watch out what I do but most of the time will
    be taken up with rehab anyway.
    A kitten could kick my ass right now.
    Len

Glad you're still on the green side of the grass! All the Best.

Comment

I feel for you Qsimdo. There is nothing quite like waking up after an operation like that. Once you get home, the worst of it is over. Then it's just a matter of getting back in shape and staying that way.

Congrats!

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Went through that 5 years ago. It took 6 months to a year before I was back to my old self. Follow the doctors orders and make sure you exercise - it really does help recovery. Glad to hear you are doing well.
        Glenn Bird

Comment

I know how you feel, I’m on placid for life, fell off a step ladder 3 days back, my leg is like a tattoo sleeve, scary.
          You will be weak, tired and grumpy, take one hour at a time till you can do a day, then a week and so on, you’ll get there, you could give up your fellow bovines too!, pig valves are the thing here, or mechanical click click keeps you awake!
          Take care
          Mark

Comment

Best of luck! Listen to your docs, but listen harder to the therapists!
            David Kaiser
            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I guess I was really lucky. Mine was a mitral valve repair (not replacement) requiring open heart surgery, complete with splitting the ribcage. Even so, I was walking the hospital halls the day I woke from surgery. A few days later and I was walking the streets per the doctor's orders. I was only walking 100 feet down the block and back over and over but I logged a mile the first day. I was cleared to drive in only 2 months.

True, I could not cough without discomfort for a year due to the mending sternum, but the recovery can sometimes be rapid. I was told by my doctor that the recovery depends on how badly the heart was damaged by any accompanying heart attack. Sadly, many surgeries are delayed until the heart is damaged.
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Glad to hear you are doing well. Make sure to take all of your antibiotics and if you ever have teeth work done consult a doc before hand. Lost my good friend to an infected valve after dental work. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Glad to hear you came through and started recovery. I'm especially interested. When my RA doctor heard my heart murmur, he sent me to a cardiologist. Turns out the murmur I've had ever since I can remember is a malformed aortic valve. The doctor said the only way to fix it is replace it. I guess that's in my future as well. It bothered me that the doctor was so matter of fact about it. I guess it happens every day.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                    Glad to hear you came through and started recovery. I'm especially interested. When my RA doctor heard my heart murmur, he sent me to a cardiologist. Turns out the murmur I've had ever since I can remember is a malformed aortic valve. The doctor said the only way to fix it is replace it. I guess that's in my future as well. It bothered me that the doctor was so matter of fact about it. I guess it happens every day.
                    It does happen often. There is a whole industry built around fixing broken hearts. I find it comforting that they have it down to a science. My heart surgeon ** did several repairs (not replacements) a day back in 1999. He was about as experienced doing the procedure as I am at cooking breakfast.

Dan
                    ** My surgeon explaining the repair/replacement experience https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0RD6-foBKQ

Comment

I have a friend that had bypass surgery several years ago. He said after the surgery and recovery he never felt better. The clearing of the blockage relieved a run-down lethargic feeling he had been experiencing for years. The blockage had gradually sapped him of his energy and vitality over many years without him really realizing it. Getting it cleared literally gave him a new lease on life.

Hopefully the same is coming your way, hang in there.

Comment

Thanks very much for all the kind thoughts!

Anyone have any recommendations for sleeping?
                        I've tried the bed, two recliners and the couch.
                        Absolute torment for my chest and back but so far I think the couch get's the nod because it's low.
                        Len

Comment

Can't help much. We have a high flotation bed that is about the right size to sit down, then fall over onto my side. I was thought that move when my back was injured. Ask your physical therapist. They get trained in such matters. Really!

Dan

Comment

I have 2/3 of an aortic valve for 60 years now and so far it has been doing the job just fine. I was part of a test when I was younger, they did nothing and just had yearly checkups to see how it was doing until I was 21. The fortuate thing with them never touching it is that I have never had any medication related to it. Just hope it keeps working until I no longer have need of it. When I finally get to go home it will have done its's job.

Comment

Good you are doing better. I will be on blood thinner the rest of my life, started in 2009. I had weakness due to my lungs being clogged with clots. 97% blockage doesn't provide much oxygen to the system. The ER doctor told my wife she was extremely lucky to still have me around; I'm not so sure she agreed with him.

Comment

Working...
                              X