Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dull adjustable reamer in need of being sharpened.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dull adjustable reamer in need of being sharpened.

Has anyone sharpened the blades in an adjustable reamer and more importantly how did you do it? I don't have access to a T&C grinder.

My 2 cents says you have to have a tool & cutter grinder for this job.
    But you couldn't hurt much if you took a pretty hard smooth stone and gave each blade the same number of strokes.

metalmagpie

Comment

I once made a fixture to sharpen jointer blades on the surface grinder. I would imagine the same thing could be done for the adjustable reamer blades, but often just a bit of stoning will considerably improve the blades performance.

Comment

Those blades should be sharpened while in the reamer body. It would be nearly impossible to do them individually on some fixture and then expect accuracy when assembled.

They could be done on a surface grinder if you could make a fixture with a center on each end a finger stop to index and hold the reamer from turning.
        But making a fixture like that would be a project in it's self.

Trying to stone each blade could make things worse than they are. When doing narrow blades you'll always have a tendency to roll the stone off the blades edge rounding it.

I would think of a fixture for the surface grinder......... I had drawn up plans a while ago to make one. I'll post a picture if you like.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by DATo View Post
          I once made a fixture to sharpen jointer blades on the surface grinder. I would imagine the same thing could be done for the adjustable reamer blades, but often just a bit of stoning will considerably improve the blades performance.
          I made a couple of those also. In fact I remember them being featured in one of the issues of the HSM magazine.

JL..........

Comment

As there are at least 6 blades to sharpen, the main difficulty is getting them exactly matched. I would ask a cutter sharpening company for a quote first.

The blades may have a slightly smaller diameter lead in at the front end.

Comment

I touched up one of mine on a diamond hone. I took the blades out though and did the clearance angle and flat face. Having the blade(s) out gave me more feel for the angle. A few strokes is all it takes. I have a few smaller ones that have spiral flutes. Not sure how to do those. The blades don't come out. I think you'd need a grinder to do those.
              Last edited by CCWKen; 04-23-2018, 09:26 AM.

Comment

iirc Guy Lataurd had a device in one his books, the reamer was held between centres and a stone is moved along the fixture, drawn over the cutting edges. Hopefully, as an adjustable reamer is suppose to take the lightest of fine tuning cuts, not much has to come off to sharpen them

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                  As there are at least 6 blades to sharpen, the main difficulty is getting them exactly matched. I would ask a cutter sharpening company for a quote first.

The blades may have a slightly smaller diameter lead in at the front end.
                  Hi,

Yep, easy to sharpen, a bear to get them set correctly. I always sent adjustable reamers out for sharpening.
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I have not watched the video yet but I noticed just yesterday on You Tube that Keith Rucker is doing a modification to allow for some grinding on the mill. Perhaps some sort of setup with the reamer between centers and a cup wheel in the head? Turn the mill into a T&CG for some specific uses?

You'd want LOTS of care to cover the machine and guard against stone dust as the cup wheel would need dressing once in place.

Otherwise, and I know this suggestion stabs deep, perhaps we need to just admit that we can't have it all and when worn that something like this should simply be replaced? I can buy a bucket load of end mills and adjustable reamers for what it costs to buy a T&CG to keep them serviceable.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Hi,

It's perfectly fine to have them. People here get so hung up on "do it myself" that they get caught in the "pound foolish - penny wise" mentality. Sent that stuff out to have done! It's a specialized job. Unless you want to sharpen them everyday, you WILL spend more than they are worth for the few times you need it done.
                      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

It is done on a tool and cutter grinder. First set the reamer larger than the diameter you want it to cut. Mount the reamer on centers. Circle grind the OD making sure you get the correct back taper. Using a rest finger grind relief leaving the proper width margin. Then grind the end chamfer angle with proper relief. Recommendations for back taper, flute relief angle, margin width, and chamfer angles are in many handbooks. It is a pita to set up and not practical except for an emergency job. Send it out to a professional grind shop.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

BCRider, I'm definitely interested on trying something like that on my mill. Thanks for the tip.

Not having a T&C grinder or a surface grinder leaves am inexperienced person like me a little short on options. I'm also going to see if I can find a local service to sharpen it, or more properly, them. I was gifted a couple of larger sized ones from a friend who had zero use for them and even though I have never had a need to ream out something in their size range, it would be nice to get them usable again.

Comment

Working...
                          X