Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wadkin/Delta Drill Press drilling,tapping,Magdrill 2-1/2" Video

Here is Drill Press in Action https://youtu.be/gMNKPjQo12E

Outstanding job on the machine. I really liked the video.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Nice work, seriously nice work. Very useful tool, I'd love to have something like that.

Comment

That is one beautiful machine. It would be great for production work; making many copies of a part. Wish I had the space for something like that.

I have two drill presses arranged side by side. I drill on one and deburr or countersink on the other. Saves many tool changes on parts. Great combination.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

That is a great machine I use the same lights for my surface grinder as well as my bench grinder. Will probably use a bunch more to add light to the shaper and maybe drill press in my shop.
          12x16" Delta 3d printer (Built from scratch)
          Logan 825 - work in progress
          My Blog - http://engineerd3d.ddns.net/
          Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVY...view_as=public
          Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/engineerd3d/?hl=en

Comment

Very nice machine,you did an awesome job building that.Liked the video,subscribed!
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

WOW! A lot of thought went into that. Wadkin would be proud of that machine. You didn't mention the DRO's on each of the quills.

Comment

Tundra'

A suggestion...... Put some hard stops or a DRO on the X-axis of the machine. After the first drill operation you could simply space over the distance to the next drill head for the following holes. That would somewhat automate positioning of the second and third holes with respect to the first, no need to eyeball their locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  Outstanding job on the machine. I really liked the video.
                  Thanks BF,my wife did the filming she has lots of patience with me lol!
                  Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                  Nice work, seriously nice work. Very useful tool, I'd love to have something like that.
                  Thanks Dan,I have used it with drills only running forward for a couple years,it is a pleasure to use.Got busy with farm stuff and it got put on the back burner,glad it finally finished.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  That is one beautiful machine. It would be great for production work; making many copies of a part. Wish I had the space for something like that.

I have two drill presses arranged side by side. I drill on one and deburr or countersink on the other. Saves many tool changes on parts. Great combination.
                  Thanks Paul,I was getting frustrated doing constant tooling changes I guess that where the drive came from to built this thing.
                  Good idea having two drill presses side by side.
                  Originally posted by engineerd3d View Post
                  That is a great machine I use the same lights for my surface grinder as well as my bench grinder. Will probably use a bunch more to add light to the shaper and maybe drill press in my shop.
                  Thanks engineer,the lights seem to work well they don't light up for a great distance but when in close seem to give sufficient light.I remove clips that came with them and machined stub shafts and tapped them 8 mm to match flexible mount.
                  Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                  Very nice machine,you did an awesome job building that.Liked the video,subscribed!
                  Thanks wierd,I cut all the 3/4" plate for the frame work on my old Doall vertical they are amazing saws.

Originally posted by quasi View Post
                  WOW! A lot of thought went into that. Wadkin would be proud of that machine. You didn't mention the DRO's on each of the quills.
                  Thanks quasi,to much thought was getting tired of the project towards the end but very happy with end result.The Mag Drill base was a last minute idea that is going to be very useful.I forgot to mention DRO's kind of camera shy I guess.

Originally posted by DR View Post
                  Tundra'

A suggestion...... Put some hard stops or a DRO on the X-axis of the machine. After the first drill operation you could simply space over the distance to the next drill head for the following holes. That would somewhat automate positioning of the second and third holes with respect to the first, no need to eyeball their locations.
                  Thanks DR ,I have thought of that but my Varnamo Mill will get a Newall DRO before the dill press,when I can swing it
                  Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 04-28-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The stills in the other thread don't do the whole thing justice by a long shot. For the right sort of production work or even semi production this could be a real time saver. And I love the overall integrated manner of the look of the machine. It could easily pass for something that came out made like that from any of the big time makers rather than your own adaptation to suit your own needs and desires. Seriously nice work and well thought out.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      The stills in the other thread don't do the whole thing justice by a long shot. For the right sort of production work or even semi production this could be a real time saver. And I love the overall integrated manner of the look of the machine. It could easily pass for something that came out made like that from any of the big time makers rather than your own adaptation to suit your own needs and desires. Seriously nice work and well thought out.
                      Thanks BC,I was kinda relieved when I used the Mag Drill was unsure if it was going to be ridgid enough to handle that but it seemed to work flawless,the table is riddled with 1/2" NC threaded holes.The vise can be removed and clamping kit can be used for those odd ball set ups that I have used allready.The lathe Chuck apperatice thing is a twin to the Hienrich 30 mount so it can be used for dealing with hubs,sprockets or pulleys and can mount at same time with a 1/4" spacing between them.

Comment

So you're a movie star now, too. Sheesh!! Not bad for a first effort though...

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                        ...my Varnamo Mill will get a Newall DRO before the dill press,when I can swing it...
                        Yeah, a milling machine without a DRO is only half a machine. A good 3-axis DRO (X, Y and the knee) will transform a mill into
                        something really useful. I can't think of any application where a DRO is gonna be much use on a drill press--waste of money in
                        my opinion.

And Newall is definitely the only way to go. Having had several different brands on different machines Newall DROs--because of their
                        bullet-proof scales--would be my first choice. I'd never put anything else on a machine if it was a new installation...
                        Keith

Comment

[QUOTE=LKeithR;1173945]So you're a movie star now, too. Sheesh!! Not bad for a first effort though...

Yeah, a milling machine without a DRO is only half a machine. A good 3-axis DRO (X, Y and the knee) will transform a mill into
                          something really useful.

No movie star here,just a farmer lol!
                          That might be pushing it calling the Varnamo 1/2 a machine with no DRO,I would settle for 3/4 of a machine but kidding aside I am looking forward to get DRO on it one day.

This is some pics how I did the locking setup when rotating the table.

Comment

Got Drill Press moved to it's new location in the shop,it was moved without a hitch.Allways relieved when it is back on the floor after having it suspended from forklift.

Comment

that thing is so cool. You should be proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X