No announcement yet.

3 phase questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for the VFD idea. They're cheap, and incredibly useful. You have variable speed at your fingertips without changing belts. And the 3-phase motor will run more smoothly and quietly than the single phase.

I replaced the single phase motor on my mill/drill with a 3-phase and a 1-to-3 phase VFD, and am absolutely delighted with the result. In fact I will probably do the same for the lathe in the not too distant future.

Comment

Three phase motors are incredibly tolerant of abuse. Even more so if simply kept from overheating. Kept an entire chemical plant running on single phase by watering a couple of overheating motors. Bagging machines drive a screw auger and instantly reverse by throwing them in reverse while running full speed. Car wash dryer blower was intentionally overloaded by 50% because it only operated about 5 seconds out of each minute.

Comment

"I replaced the single phase motor on my mill/drill with a 3-phase and a 1-to-3 phase VFD, and am absolutely delighted with the result."

Me too! A mill Drill and a Grizzly G4002 lathe and then I also converted 4 drill presses to 3 phase & VFD. The ONLY way to go. Instant speed control and reverse at your fingertips.
        CPeter

Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Working...
        X