Bed hoist - self construction sanity check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bed hoist - self construction sanity check

This is another of my bad ideas that I'm expecting to be shot down. I'm posting it on the off-chance that it's not a terrible idea or that someone has some better ideas.

My mother is currently in hospital recovering from a knee replacement. She is finding the pull handle above the bed really helpful so I was thinking about how I could replicate it for the early recovery period. I looked at buying one but they're about £140 (200 bucks -ish). Looked at renting one but they don't seem to be available and anything similar seems to cost about the same as buying one. It would actually be cheaper to buy an engine crane... although I'm not sure how practical it would be - quite small room.
    Looked for 2nd hand ones but there are very few and collection only from 200 miles away.

So the idea I need shot down (for my own benefit!) is this. Buy some steel hollow square section tube for a tiny fraction of the cost and weld it together. It would probably need doing in a dismantleable fashion for transport and getting it in the room so I was thinking a plate could be welded over the open end of the tube with some captive studs in it.
    So far this sounds sensible, right? So the complication is this. I have a cheap stick welder I bought recently....but the sum total of my welding experience is....buying the welder. I haven't got round to turning it on yet. Ideal for a safety-critical first project....I don't think!

So is this easier than I'm fearing and not a terrible idea or has someone got any different ideas I've not thought of?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
    Gareth

It is a really bad idea! First welds in a critical situation. Did I mention that I think it is a really bad idea!

You might be adding a broken hip to the knee replacement if a weld fails. At least get all the parts cut out and planned and then take it to a "real" weldor. Unless of course there is a sizable inheritance involved and you are a diabolical SOB. Then have at it!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Cheers, I figured as much. If I were an experienced welder I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard and I'd know that as a total noob, it'd be a steeper learning curve than I've got the timeframe for....did I mention time is short too?!
      Just difficult to shake the "I ought to be able to do this myself" feeling.

No, not after inheritance. Missing the occasional free child care though! Been through the broken ribs debacle, now it's the knee replacement and there's the question of spinal surgery on the cards next....and that just THIS year!

Comment

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
        Cheers, I figured as much. If I were an experienced welder I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard and I'd know that as a total noob, it'd be a steeper learning curve than I've got the timeframe for....did I mention time is short too?!
        Just difficult to shake the "I ought to be able to do this myself" feeling.

No, not after inheritance. Missing the occasional free child care though! Been through the broken ribs debacle, now it's the knee replacement and there's the question of spinal surgery on the cards next....and that just THIS year!
        I woulnt stress about critical welds as this is is so easy to proof test with sufficient safety margin. 400kg proof test should be plenty of safety margin unless you have American Mama 😄

Comment

Holes and screws instead of welds would work also.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Hi, Cenedd
            I suggest to contact local hospital outpatients dept.
            There may be a program or informal network as there is here.

At one outpatient therapy provider here, the devices are donated back, checked by the maintenance dept,
            and made available again to those who need.

Also check local college for a night class welding course, hopefully an extended one
            with qualified instructors and some coverage of materials, stress, and where the red flags are for hobbiests etc.
            Maybe a UK welder can provide more info.

Comment

I have to agree with Black Forest, don’t, get some practice welding on nuclear containment vessels ultra high pressure pipe work or aircraft parts first, somthing non critical, the required help is actually available in the U.K., ask to speak to the physiotherapist at the hospital, they will put you in touch with the appliances department, they may call in to check suitability of the appliance but there’s no charge, if you don’t ask you won’t get.
              (They fit grab handles around baths and toilets for free too, I fitted some for them recently, and yes you do need insurance to do that, aka public liability), if it’s wall mounted someone will then turn up to fit the hoist track etc, if floor standing they will show you how to use it.
              Mark

Comment

Weld the thing up and test it out yourself.Odds are you are heavier than your mother,add some bounce to increase the stress in the welds,if it holds without distorting or breaking then you should be good.

Beginning welders need to keep one thing in mind-It is better to have the machine turned up too hot and undercut a little,than to have the machined turned down too cold and not get penetration.Undercut you can fix by turning the machine down a little and adding a bit more weld.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                  I woulnt stress about critical welds as this is is so easy to proof test with sufficient safety margin. 400kg proof test should be plenty of safety margin unless you have American Mama ��
                  did you just call my mom fat.
                  san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Don't want to be a party pooper seeing as this is a machinist forum but there isn't a single thing on this web site that I couldn't make out of 2x4s and some wooden dowels that I have laying around my shop.

https://www.rehabmart.com/category/b...les,_poles.htm

Steve

Comment

880 pound proof test? I think he did call your mom fat!

Bolt it together and use plug inserts at the joints. And don't cheap out and use water pipe or conduit.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                        Holes and screws instead of welds would work also.
                        This is what I was thinking as well. No welds but square and round tubing as desired with gusset plates that bolt through. Totally strong enough and risk free as far as workmanship is concerned.

It would also have the advantage of being easily constructed as it's just pieces to handle in your small shop and it would assemble right there in the bedroom.

But let's get something clear...... I see overhanging grab handles for the person to use to assist themself for getting up and then there's full on "engine hoists" that lift the person up in a fabric sling. These second options are not something it looks like you're going to build up from a couple of sticks of metal I'd wager. And they all look to be intended to be used for full paraplegics being assisted by caregivers to move the patient from bed to wheelchair. I'm sort of gathering that what you want is more of an overhead grab rail to aid your Mom in getting herself out of bed.
                        Last edited by BCRider; 04-29-2018, 10:45 AM.
                        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

How about a 3/8 or so eye bolt screwed into the ceiling joist?

Comment

They make aluminum brackets that fit onto conduit. Come in ell's, tee's, three way tee's, etc.
                            Any good hardware place has them.
                            Build the entire thing with an allen wrench and tubing cutter.
                            Wish I knew how to add a link to show them. Somebody on here knows what I am talking about.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys. I spoke to the physio today and they moved the goal posts somewhat. I'm going to talk to them again tomorrow but from what they said today, they think that making it 'too easy' would actually hinder her recovery. Going to have the discussion on whether to move her in here for a few days or take her home - both have issues.
                              Got grab handles in order the major places she's going to need them and height raisers on the chair and bed. Just need one more near the toilet which is going to be a challenge because of the void between the wall surface and actual solid wall.

For reference, I was definitely thinking static handle rather than hydraulic lift.
                              I'm a bit scared of trying to screw anything major into the ceiling to be be honest. It's concrete rather than wood beams - which sounds like a good thing but it's from about 1910 and I've no idea if there's rebar (I would assume there must be) or how thick it is before I intrude into upstairs' living room!

Will definitely check out fittings for glorified Mechano - there's bound to be something else before I have the spare time to learn to weld properly!

Comment

Working...
                              X