No announcement yet.

Bed hoist - self construction sanity check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it's "just" a grab handle you could make up a rig that sort of looks like an engine hoist quite easily. A sort of "V or "U shaped base that extends from the post side under the bed to just shy of the opposite side. The post, of course, then the arm with the grab handle on the end.

The rig could also easily be done in wood as well.

The exact nature of the design would depend on how much, if any, room there is on the opposite side of the bed to the wall. If there is a couple of feet of room then it would greatly ease the stress points by allowing a wider base of support for a vertical leg structure and bracing. But if it has to fit really snug and "tight" then I think you're looking at metal for sure.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

You made a good decision Cenedd.

The biggest impediment to welding it yourself as a first project is that you don't yet know how to tell "good enough" from something that will break later. A "good looking" weld can be brittle. It can create a stress riser that will crack later. It can lack good fusion and pop off under stress.

Pro welders often do NO design work. They follow the engineer's instructions, since the engineer has training in exactly where things need to be reinforced and exactly what weld will do the job best. The engineer does not need to know how to weld. The welder does not need to know how to engineer.

Fabrication shops are different in that they often have people who do the design and the construction too. Same with home shops. My rule of thumb is that I will not weld anything that can injure people if it fails. If forced to do so, I make it many times stronger than I think it should be. I also check my welds once in a while.

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I know you're not going to make it but if you do try a hand at welding until you get comfortable weld & bold things together thus on backs up the other. I have a half size SS electric shop crain that may have been used for that as it's not horror fright quality, runs on a sealed 12v battery with a pendant. Very handy for changing chucks & have an on board charger & a button you push to check the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
          Thanks for the ideas guys. I spoke to the physio today and they moved the goal posts somewhat. I'm going to talk to them again tomorrow but from what they said today, they think that making it 'too easy' would actually hinder her recovery. Going to have the discussion on whether to move her in here for a few days or take her home - both have issues.
          Got grab handles in order the major places she's going to need them and height raisers on the chair and bed. Just need one more near the toilet which is going to be a challenge because of the void between the wall surface and actual solid wall.

For reference, I was definitely thinking static handle rather than hydraulic lift.
          I'm a bit scared of trying to screw anything major into the ceiling to be be honest. It's concrete rather than wood beams - which sounds like a good thing but it's from about 1910 and I've no idea if there's rebar (I would assume there must be) or how thick it is before I intrude into upstairs' living room!

Will definitely check out fittings for glorified Mechano - there's bound to be something else before I have the spare time to learn to weld properly!
          Hi,

Yep. using such devices can easily hinder recovery. Unless there is a clear reason for continuous use of lift assists, making a patient do as much as possible speeds their recovery. So listen to the therapists. This ain't their first rodeo.

If you need a lift, Hoyer Lifts are nothing more than an engine hoist with a sling for lifting people instead of engines.
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Don't think you need a overhead handle ????
            When my wife had her knee surgery, I took some 3/4" Thinwall conduit ( steel pipe , used by electricians , but very thin walls)
            and bent it into a L shape. Then I clamped one end of it to the steel angle frame of the bed and screwed the other to the bed head board.
            So it was a raised handrail and did the trick . Maybe this is easier for you
            Rich
            Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
            X