No announcement yet.

Either a used car or a new bicycle ? Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to go pump up the tires on my free bike and ride it, sometime when the mill and lathe are off.

Comment

I never could understand the whole "competition thing".Of course we all like to be recognised for our achievements. If I make an improved mousetrap,I get fulfilment in helping people catch more mice. I get no pleasure from saying" look at me ",I am so much better than that poor schmuck that lost the mousetrap competition.Of course, in bicycle racing ,there is no mouse or mousetrap.Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

this is what I have:
        https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/road-eplus-1

put 7000 miles on it since last August (250 miles per week). I like it a lot and I don't think I'd be able to do my commute on a non-electric bike and still have enough time and energy to do my job. I'm just about getting it to the point where I think it'll be sorted for the long term, need to build a new wheel for it this summer and then it'll be pretty much done. I'd rather get a DRO for the mill, but replacing a snapped spoke every few weeks gets old really quick.

I'm also just about to finish refurbing a bike for my youngest daughter that I picked up off the curb during the bulk trash pick up last week.

Comment

Like knives, guns, cars, metal tools, wood tools, instruments etc etc.. plenty of bs out there.. the kicker though is that someone who has real skill/fitness can make most anything sing.
          Same as it ever was.

Comment

I like my E-bike. We live in a hilly area. Without having the boost of the Electric it is too much on my old trashed knees. With the E-bike I like to ride. With a normal bike they stand in the corner unused.

Mine was not so expensive. Around 4,000Euros.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

BF whatever works for you im just talking about the trails we ride they don't belong out here and im glad they recognize that and made it a law,

and Matt if your using one to go back and forth to work instead of taking a car I commend you, that's a lot of miles your logging on and what a great example your setting for everyone,
              Just be careful out there if your mixing it up with cars, I have to ride roads a little once in awhile just to get to the trail heads and even though we do some pretty crazy stuff out on the trails I still consider the road part the most dangerous,,,

lost a friend who was riding his bike to a hit and run, it's gotten about ten times more dangerous due to half the people not paying attention anymore,
              This in the news this morning, some guy was letting his Tesla drive in auto assist while he was in the passenger seat, not a very comforting thought if your a cyclist - or even a motorist...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                ....and Matt if your using one to go back and forth to work instead of taking a car I commend you, that's a lot of miles your logging on and what a great example your setting for everyone,
                Just be careful out there if your mixing it up with cars,
                How is taking an E-assist bike to work any different than a using a motorscooter or a motorcycle? I see plenty of E-bikes every day, none of them are using the pedals.
                Last edited by reggie_obe; 04-30-2018, 09:50 AM.

Comment

I know Matt - trust me he's using the pedals...

Comment

I know Matt - trust me he's using the pedals...
                    Wouldn't that be more like pedaling a truck? Dead weight and all, besides being impractical for a 50 mile commute?

Comment

Yes if you misjudge your battery range and your climbing a steep grade your better off to just push the thing in the weeds and hitchhike back home, but im sure he keeps things charged up

many are pedal assist and in fact some sense pedal pressure and add to your effort and also have various degree's that they do this just depends what mode you want...

Comment

it's a pedal assist e-bike. It senses the amount of torque going through the cranks and adds electric motor power to the cranks depending on speed and power level, up to 28mph. I tend to cruise at around 25-27mph depending on the wind. I charge it at the end of each leg, costs about $2 a month in electricity from what I've been able to figure out. I didn't want to buy a cheap car that I would have to spend all my time fixing or give up my half of the garage, plus I hate going to the gym. So this seemed like the best compromise

AK - thanks for the concern, I do my best to stay rubber side down. I'm lit up like a disco ball (2 lights front and rear, one on my helmet and one on my camelbak, one of each flashing), wear an embarassing amount of fluoro and am very cautious. Had a couple of near misses but changed what I do after each so hopefully won't be in those situations again. Only accident I had was being a dufus in the wet and had an uncorrectable powerslide going round a corner. Took a chunk out of my elbow and bled all the way to work. Won't do that again either!

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                          If money is no object, or if you are really concerned about corrosion, consider a gold plated bicycle:

Why would someone gold plate a cheap (~ $600) bicycle? This is the bicycling equivalent of a gold plated Timex.

Comment

BF whatever works for you im just talking about the trails we ride they don't belong out here and im glad they recognize that and made it a law,

and Matt if your using one to go back and forth to work instead of taking a car I commend you, that's a lot of miles your logging on and what a great example your setting for everyone,
                            Just be careful out there if your mixing it up with cars, I have to ride roads a little once in awhile just to get to the trail heads and even though we do some pretty crazy stuff out on the trails I still consider the road part the most dangerous,,,

lost a friend who was riding his bike to a hit and run, it's gotten about ten times more dangerous due to half the people not paying attention anymore,
                            This in the news this morning, some guy was letting his Tesla drive in auto assist while he was in the passenger seat, not a very comforting thought if your a cyclist - or even a motorist...

It isn't a problem for anyone else. I only ride on my own land 99% of the time. We have a lot of roads through our forests and on our property so I am not bothering anyone.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Hey, if they are good enough for the guys in the Tour De France, why not?

Comment

LOL sad but true... I think the big tip off moment was when that one dude crashed and his bike kept peeling out in circles doing doughnuts without him on it lol

Comment

Working...
                                X