No announcement yet.

Either a used car or a new bicycle ? Wow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My son bought an electric bike they were doing a special offer for Doctors so he bought one within weeks it was stolen later he bought another and it went the same way even with this model he kept part of it inside his house at night. He said whoever stole it could not use it without those parts still it went walkies during the night or day when the house was empty. I think the people who buy a decent used or new cheapie can have as much fun it depends how much you can afford or how much you want your neighbours to think you can afford them. My cousin worked for a while selling cars and said the most people buying Rolls Royce cars were making monthly payments and just like the emperors new clothes it was all about show. In my way of thinking for that kind of money I would much rather have a nice Harley Davidson . Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Buy a bike not a e bike i ride bikes they are nice but do not work you, for that $$$ you could a real nice one

Comment

I'd rather get a new 2018 YZ125 for only $6499. Much more fun. Very light, agile, and none of that silly peddling.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...s/models/yz125

Comment

How did riding the YZ to work or across town for errands work for you?

Things to factor in on cost, if an ebike can take you to work.
          No fuel, less insurance cost, less or no parking fees, greater manooverablity in traffic jams. Way lower maintainence costs.
          That can offset a higher price.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
            How did riding the YZ to work or across town for errands work for you?

Things to factor in on cost, if an ebike can take you to work.
            No fuel, less insurance cost, less or no parking fees, greater manooverablity in traffic jams. Way lower maintainence costs.
            That can offset a higher price.
            Good point. I always drive a "cage" nowadays on the roads. I sold my superbikes when we had kids. And my 2004 CR125 supercross bike has been sitting for ~14 years. An on/off road type dirtbike with blinkers, head light and brake light could be purchased for around the same price and offer both on and off road fun, but does neither very well so it's obviously a compromise. Superbikes are loads of fun but are uncomfortable. I've never ridden a typical general purpose on-road only type motorcycle but I gather they must be quite comfortable on the road.

I think I want to stop by the local dealers and see if my Son would be interested in going off-road riding. I'd dying to get back to ripping everything up in the dirt.

Comment

I have a nice mountainbike too, wouldn't want to commute 50 miles a day on it though

Comment

For sure and I guarantee your monthly cheeseburger bill will be way more than 2 bucks lol

can't believe that - 24 dollar a year commuting fuel bill and your talking quite the commute,

imagine an all out aerodynamic effort - totally concealed - keep you out of the elements too, 14 bucks a year?

Comment

I bought a Suzuki gz125 for work, I used to cycle half the week but it was 20 miles, hard going after a night shift, I’m not a bike person but the 125 was really fun, I couldn’t get much more than 55 out of it but that’s all I needed, I do wish someone would make an auto darkening visor though, going into the sun (when we had such a thing instead of 97 percent cloud like the last 3 years) with trees the constant glare dark glare was tiresome, very easy on the back cruiser shaped bikes too, also extremely stable, no hands the thing went in a straight line on its own
                  Mark

Comment

$14 a year? lolol I spend that every day on gas, and more than that for lunch.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                      I'd rather get a new 2018 YZ125 for only $6499. Much more fun. Very light, agile, and none of that silly peddling.

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...s/models/yz125

I had a sport bike and a dirt bike before. If I ever got a bike again it would be an enduro.
                      Andy

Comment

I have one of these...

...carries a good load and is geared for every condition. I use it on-road as a general run about.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                          $14 a year? lolol I spend that every day on gas, and more than that for lunch.
                          I think the concept is great - but it's allot of miles shared and still trusting people who are removed from the situation and some that don't even care, he can wear all the bright cloths he want's - even attach a strobe light to his helmet, some will still not see him simply because their not looking at the road,

You already stated you had some close calls Matt and that your changing your tactics, but it's not you who are to blame - you can change your tactics all you want but the fact is - is if you continue to log this many miles on the road with motor vehicles your doing more than rolling the dice, it's just a matter of time, I hate like hell to be a buzzkill and esp. with someone I admire for trying to do the right thing, but it's simply a different era out there, to me owning a road bike is not even a choice anymore, I know this sounds radical and sad but I cannot ignore the facts - lost a friend about 5 years ago, they did end up catching the lady even though she left the seen - she was yapping on her celly when she hit him,

last year my bros gurlfriends brothers daughter who's a runner had a van blast through an intersection and park it's front wheel on her pelvis, she lived

two years ago one of my old riding buddies kid who's also an amazing athlete was commuting to work back and forth on his road bike when he got hit from behind, he got pitched and lucked out, still messed him up for awhile.

sad fact is it's the people who are trying to keep in shape and improve their lives that are at the most risk,

yes im concerned about you Matt, and I know you get good at what to watch out for but all it takes is one time, you simply cannot protect yourself against this, your putting your trust in the people out there, its a bad decision, it's risky enough when your on two wheels but can match the speeds of the traffic, then all's you really have to worry about is not being seen at intersections or in blind spots - but you are at a constant speed difference variable,,, and not one that allows you the luxury of making all the critical decisions (I.E. going faster and seeing everything unfold before you) Your having to trust them for that, all at a time when people are proven to be looking at something other then the road... not good.

Where I live it's a no brainer just to stay away from it all, there's also the fact that I like to breath in clean fresh air esp. when im exercising and the road is the worst place to ride as I live in the mountains, so take your pick - your either sucking up everyone's full throttle exhaust fumes while your climbing OR your sucking up overheated brakes on the descent,,, if they don't kill you by hitting you they just might a little later in life...

Iv seen enough - I will avoid it like the plague...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            I think the concept is great - but it's allot of miles shared and still trusting people who are removed from the situation and some that don't even care, he can wear all the bright cloths he want's - even attach a strobe light to his helmet, some will still not see him simply because their not looking at the road,

Iv seen enough - I will avoid it like the plague...
                            All very true, unfortunately it's a given when mixing it up with cagers in traffic whether on a bicycle or even a motorcycle, never mind on foot.
                            This from my experience from riding either a bicycle or motorcycle while interacting with otherwise well intentioned people in cars. It is my belief that while they may see you, it does not fully register because you are not perceived as a personal threat to their well being. Hence just a quick glance and they carry on without giving the gravity of the situation any meaningful thought or action. This even after making eye contact if possible!
                            They sure as hell do the right thing when I'm coming at them with a D-8 on a lowbed.
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                              It is my belief that while they may see you, it does not fully register because you are not perceived as a personal threat to their well being. Hence just a quick glance and they carry on without giving the gravity of the situation any meaningful thought or action. This even after making eye contact if possible!
                              They sure as hell do the right thing when I'm coming at them with a D-8 on a lowbed.
                              That's not just your belief - it's a proven fact, it's even a factor for some experienced cyclist that are the ones doing the driving, the self preservation factor is subconsciously "job one"
                              and the people who've never had their asses out there with nothing more than a 25lb piece of metal on 1" width tires?

forget about it - for some of them it does not even immediately register save other than the cost of one of their headlights...

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                                That's not just your belief - it's a proven fact, it's even a factor for some experienced cyclist that are the ones doing the driving, the self preservation factor is subconsciously "job one"
                                and the people who've never had their asses out there with nothing more than a 25lb piece of metal on 1" width tires?

forget about it - for some of them it does not even immediately register save other than the cost of one of their headlights...
                                No road cycling for me today -- it's overcast and gloomy, kind of like this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X