Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: The Birds and the Bees

The birds and the bees are out causing trouble

Full size snapshot of wasp (2688x1520): http://www.bbssystem.com/pictures/wasp.jpg

Last edited by ; 04-30-2018, 01:56 PM.

Comment

nice!

Comment

The robin looked like it knew it was being watched. Does the camera have infrared lighting that comes on when motion is sensed? Maybe the robin can see that?

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
          The robin looked like it knew it was being watched. Does the camera have infrared lighting that comes on when motion is sensed? Maybe the robin can see that?
          They do have IR lights that can turn on when it gets dark but I have the auto-IR illumination feature turned off because I currently have all of the cameras inside looking through a window and at night the IR lights just create a massive reflection on the windows. I'm planning on mounting all of the cameras outside once I figure out the best locations for all 8 of them then I'll turn on the auto-IR illumination.

I think the Robin might hang out around those bay windows a lot and maybe just noticed the camera that wasn't there before. Not sure but I also caught him checking out the camera on the other bay window around the same time in the morning a few days earlier. See the other bay window video below

I think this is the same Robin a few days earlier at basically the same time checking out another camera

Comment

I think the Robin might hang out around those bay windows a lot and maybe just noticed the camera that wasn't there before. Not sure but I also caught him checking out the camera on the other bay window around the same time in the morning a few days earlier. See the other bay window video below
            Or maybe the robin was just attracted by some reflections in the bay window.

Comment

yep.. This time of year they will fight to the death with their own reflection

Comment

The robin must be looking for insects that like to get under the siding.
                The wasp looks like the bat from hell. I have the dark purple / black wasps that keep flying in front of one of my out door cams causing it to record. Haven't seen them yet.
                Insects are a pain at night when the IR lights com on.

JL..............

Comment

Just out of curiosity .... do you need a DVR for those cameras to connect and record to??
                  Are you sure all the cams will be able to reach the receiver when you mount them out side??
                  The problems I've encountered with the wireless cams is sometimes the signal won't make it to the router. I had to make up a short run of coax and bring the antenna inside for one of my out door cams because it wouldn't connect to the router. I think all the wireless cams have the same range.
                  What I did with one of my out door cams was left it mounted inside looking out the window and got an external IR light for night vision and mounted that in another window.

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    Just out of curiosity .... do you need a DVR for those cameras to connect and record to??
                    Are you sure all the cams will be able to reach the receiver when you mount them out side??
                    The problems I've encountered with the wireless cams is sometimes the signal won't make it to the router. I had to make up a short run of coax and bring the antenna inside for one of my out door cams because it wouldn't connect to the router. I think all the wireless cams have the same range.
                    What I did with one of my out door cams was left it mounted inside looking out the window and got an external IR light for night vision and mounted that in another window.

JL............
                    I installed a 64GB MicroSD card in each camera and configure the cameras to record high quality video directly to their local MicroSD card whenever they detect movement. I also have my own custom software that will download the recorded videos from the cameras once a day or whenever I want to see something immediately. I've configured the cameras to only keep the last 3 days worth of video so they will never fill up.

Yes, the UltraHD video would consume too much bandwidth if I wanted to stream video from them into a DVR so I let the cameras do all of the recording and just download completed motion events from the camera periodically.

Comment

OK, so the cameras have like a built in DVR.. correct??
                      My cams are Sharx, 1920 x 1080 I'm pretty happy with them. 4K does chew up too much band width. I can stream all ten of mine to my phone any where with very little lag time.
                      Mine record to a micro SD card in the camera but I have them set up to record to my server. My thought there was if some one stole the camera the evidence is on the SD card.
                      If it's on my server I have the video. I can access that anywhere too.

My biggest complaint is insect activity tripping the camera at night, rain and snow is highly reflective with IR lighting also.
                      So I've been experimenting with external IR lights that I will put in different locations and I'll disable the camera IR lights and see what happens.
                      There is a different model camera that incorporates heat sensing as a motion trip so bugs, snow and rain drops won't trip the camera.
                      Dust particles floating around at night and cob webs and spider webs are also highly reflective and will trip the camera at night.
                      I can't count how many times I had to run out side at night with a broom during the summer to brush a drifting spider web away from the camera.

The bugs will be out pretty soon. I'm ready.

JL.......
                      Last edited by JoeLee; 04-30-2018, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                        OK, so the cameras have like a built in DVR.. correct??
                        My cams are Sharx, 1920 x 1080 I'm pretty happy with them. 4K does chew up too much band width. I can stream all ten of mine to my phone any where with very little lag time.
                        Mine record to a micro SD card in the camera but I have them set up to record to my server. My thought there was if some one stole the camera the evidence is on the SD card.
                        If it's on my server I have the video. I can access that anywhere too.

My biggest complaint is insect activity tripping the camera at night, rain and snow is highly reflective with IR lighting also.
                        So I've been experimenting with external IR lights that I will put in different locations and I'll disable the camera IR lights and see what happens.
                        There is a different model camera that incorporates heat sensing as a motion trip so bugs, snow and rain drops won't trip the camera.
                        Dust particles floating around at night and cob webs and spider webs are also highly reflective and will trip the camera at night.
                        I can't count how many times I had to run out side at night with a broom during the summer to brush a drifting spider web away from the camera.

The bugs will be out pretty soon. I'm ready.

JL.......
                        The cameras are highly configurable and can be setup to record via schedules, via motion detection, or via events. The motion detection is also highly configurable and can be finely tuned for each camera and detection areas/sensitivity, etc. The cameras can be configured to save their video to the local sdcard, to an FTP server, or to a NFS/SMB share. I want the best possible video resolution and framerate supported which is 2688x1520 30 FPS, 10,240Kb/S bit rate which isn't a lot of bandwidth but unfortunately the camera will drop frames occasionally when the camera is uploading video so I ended up setting them to record video locally to their SDCard.

Here is my custom software that downloads videos from my cameras. It's just my own code for my personal system so I don't care what anyone does with it. I'm also making a KODI add-on that I'll be using as the front end to actually review video/etc.

http://www.bbssystem.com/video.c
                        http://www.bbssystem.com/cameras.ini

EDIT: I forgot to add the Amcrest API document that I used to write the software that talks to the cameras. I only used the APIs shown on pages 153-156 to implement the software that downloads the recorded videos.

http://www.bbssystem.com/amcrest_api.pdf
                        Last edited by ; 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X