Nuts & bolts individually.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuts & bolts individually.

I'm probably the last to find this web site, but the Bolt Depot will sell you one or two or quantity on a wide variety of 'em.

They also had metric Allen head driver bits which I was struggling to find.

Took two days from my order to arrival.

I have no connection with them, just a happy customer.

Cat

How much for shipping? I can't imagine how ordering one bolt is going to be cost effective.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
      How much for shipping? I can't imagine how ordering one bolt is going to be cost effective.
      Agreed, but there are times when you only need one or two, and ministry local has them. For example, a specific screw for a rifle I was working on, in an odd pitch, 1/4-24 iirc, when 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 are the norm. I ended up having to order them from a gunsmith supply place and paid an arm and a leg for them, buy the rifle was useless without them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Really! When I need a bolt or nut I almost automatically think of a box of 100; larger sizes, perhaps 50 or 25. McMaster often has numbers like that at discounted prices. I have built up my stock that way. It would have to be something that I absolutely know that I would never need again for me to just get one or two.

Another thing that I do is buy screws and bolts in longer lengths; the longest size that comes with full length threads. That way, if I need just one or two of a particular length, I can just cut them down and I don't have to buy anything. Perhaps a bit of waste there, but that is counterbalanced by the shipping on many small orders.

And I keep the "drops" for use as studs. Well, the longer ones anyway.

Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

What Paul said.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
          Oregon Coast

Comment

Not to change the subject, but a supply of nuts, a welder and a length of allthread makes it quick and easy to make custom bolts as needed.

If you follow that line of thinking, a 2 inch threaded coupler can be pressed into service as a bunch of nuts.

If I'm not in a hurry, I'll pick up nuts, bolts and screws as needed at the hardware store. As is my wont, if I need $1 of bolts I usually spend $5 getting matching nuts, washers and such for that size and the sizes close to it. That's why I have 3 different sets of drawers to hold my fasteners.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Maybe I'd buy only one if it's left-hand 1-1/64 - 33TPI BS withworth or something..

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                Maybe I'd buy only one if it's left-hand 1-1/64 - 33TPI BS withworth or something..
                I know that was in jest, but in reality it's no harder to single point than any other IF you have the change gears and a lathe that will reverse the spindle / leadscrew independently.

Dan
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  Not to change the subject, but a supply of nuts, a welder and a length of allthread makes it quick and easy to make custom bolts as needed.
                  I found the all-thread from the home store to be soft - stretches and only good for light duty.
                  Better for anything needing to be tightened up, to use even the basic grade5/ class 8.8 bolts and nuts which are hardened and tempered off the forge.
                  But I see that 8.8 all-thread is available from Small Parts for a higher price too.
                  https://www.amazon.com/Threaded-M10-.../dp/B00G3QFW80

Comment

Originally posted by Catshooter View Post
                    I'm probably the last to find this web site, but the Bolt Depot will sell you one or two or quantity on a wide variety of 'em.

They also had metric Allen head driver bits which I was struggling to find.

Took two days from my order to arrival.

I have no connection with them, just a happy customer.

Cat
                    I have ordered several time from them, quite pleased.

Comment

I, too, am a frequent Bolt Depot customer. Mostly, I do as Paul does - if I need 10, I'll order 100. But for a special project I needed 4 odd sized drive bolts. Placed the order on Tuesday evening. They were on my door step Friday. Also, no connection, just a very pleased customer.
                      Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Yea especially if it's a #4 !!
                        Of course...they could just mail it in an envelope as a sample.

JL.............

Comment

For general project use, try going to Tractor Supply. They sell common, grade 5, and grade 8 bolts by the pound. It is FAR less expensive than anywhere else I've found. No specialty stuff, just common bolts, nuts, and washers, but the quality seems fine.

I went in and bought about 25 pounds of bolts, nuts, and washers in common diameters and lengths and put them into HF organizers. There's a paper taped to the outside of each organizer where I write down what I used. When I am planning to pass by the store (it's about 20 miles away) I take the papers with me and collect a bag of stuff to replenish the organizers.

The satisfaction you feel when you need 3 5/16 x 2" , a 1/4 by 4", and four 3/8"x 1 at 10:30 pm and have them on hand is priceless.

I'm also a happy purchaser from bolt depot. I ordered a big collection of size 6,8, and 10 machine screws in flathead and round head and put them in organizers as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X