Black Forest question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Forest question:

Hi Black Forest and all, question re the bird you have near?... you, Stone Marten. Are they as distructive as protrayed on tv? Thanks for your time, Wayne in BC, Canada. Whoaaaa, it is not a bird! It is a member of the otter and weasel family. Anyway, the question still is: are they as distructive as protrayed on tv? Thanks for putting up with my first dumb question Wayne.
    Last edited by wtrueman; 05-03-2018, 02:51 AM.

Originally posted by wtrueman View Post
    Hi Black Forest and all, question re the bird you have near?... you, Stone Marten. Are they as distructive as protrayed on tv? Thanks for your time, Wayne in BC, Canada. Whoaaaa, it is not a bird! It is a member of the otter and weasel family. Anyway, the question still is: are they as distructive as protrayed on tv? Thanks for putting up with my first dumb question Wayne.
    First off Wayne, this is not the first dumb question you have asked I am sure!!!!!

And yes they are very destructive. We had a Stone Marten that lived over our tack room for a while. It chewed through everything in it's path. But worst of all, it pissed on everything and stunk up the whole barn. This one was very big also. I encouraged it to move to a new home!

There is a big problem with the weasels destroying automobiles. They eat the insulation off the wires and rip out the insulation and sound proofing materials. I read somewhere it is the soy that gets used in the making of the insulation but I am not sure really what is the attraction.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
      ............There is a big problem with the weasels destroying automobiles. They eat the insulation off the wires and rip out the insulation and sound proofing materials. I read somewhere it is the soy that gets used in the making of the insulation but I am not sure really what is the attraction.
      That's very strange considering weasels are carnivores. Are you sure it wasn't rodents such as rats, mice or squirrels?
      Last edited by Arcane; 05-03-2018, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
        That's very strange considering weasels are carnivores. Are you sure it wasn't rodents such as rats, mice or squirrels?
        100%
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Black Forest

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
          100%
          Thank you for the quick reply. wayne

Comment

One of my coworkers had a Wood Chuck chew the wire and hoses up on his SUV. I have a lot of problems with them digging under my pole barn, tried to repel them but no luck just trapped my 4th one this year.

Jon

Comment

There really is an issue over here with martens biting cables and hoses in the car engine compartment. It's cozy and warm in there, which attracts them.

I've read two explanations of why they bite the cables: one is simply to get forward. If the way is blocked, they'll bite their way through. The other is in the breeding season, where the smell of another marten will induce a hormone-provoked fit of rage, and they'll bite into anything.

Very expensive repair, and sometimes impossible to spot.

Lots of preventive ideas and suggestions, but a test showed that only one remedy really works: a few small electrically charged pads in the engine compartment that give their paws a shock. They quickly retire. You just need to remember to remove the pads before you start the engine.
              Last edited by Benta; 05-04-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X