Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three hours looking for the saw. Two minutes to make the cut.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three hours looking for the saw. Two minutes to make the cut.

My day at a glance.

Been there done that.
    Mike
    Central Ohio, USA

Comment

So, did you put the saw away where it belongs after this job so you can find it for the next one?

Not having a dedicated spot and or making time to put tools away in their dedicated spot is what has led to similar experiences for me in the past. The best of members here have displayed jaw-dropping storage arrangements that encourage putting tools away, their methods serve as inspiration to the rest of us.

Comment

You're ahead of me.. at least you found it.

Comment

at least you found it. A bad day is heading out to buy a new one only to return and not remember what needed cutting
          in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Yeah, been there. Seems also that you spend hours making up a jig to do an operation in minutes or even seconds. The result usually puts a smile on your face considering that you've just made something to solve a problem, and it works- perhaps very well and quickly. Been there a lot of times.

A few weeks ago I was lost in the usual sea of ideas and ways of bringing them to reality- preoccupied and looking for my glasses I took them off my face and put them down so I could go and look for them. I caught that pretty quickly. Far too often I'll put something down where I 'know' I'll find it again- then I can't find it. Much of the time though I'm amazed at how I can recall where something is and go directly there and actually find it.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Yesterday I spent 10 minutes looking for my phone so i could take a picture and send it the guy I was talking to... on it

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                Much of the time though I'm amazed at how I can recall where something is and go directly there and actually find it.
                In my opinion, IOHS (Inherent Object Homing Skill) is an essential characteristic.

Its importance is inversely related to one's tendency towards order & organization. Without strong IOHS, those who work in chaotic circumstances (by nature or necessity) do not stand a chance.

Pro tip. Never announce your amazement to onlookers - leave them to marvel at how you 'have a system' that lets you put your hands on any object at any time, no matter the apparent disorganization. Especially spouses ...

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                  at least you found it. A bad day is heading out to buy a new one only to return and not remember what needed cutting
                  Haven't had that happen yet. Usually, I buy a new one, use it and the next day I find the one I was looking for in the first place. I have more duplicates than I care to admit... I figure, eventually, I will have so many of each type of tool, I can't possible misplace them!

Comment

I too have had this problem as you and others describe. The glasses that you can't fine only to learn they are on top of my head. The lost tool you give up and by a new one and then when done say OK where will I put this so I don't loose it for next time, and guess what it's the same place that I put the first one. So My son now has a couple of tools that he may or may not use but 2 was not in the cards with the storage that I have.
                    Wife did the can't find the cell phone while talking to her mother on it about where it might be.

TX
                    Mr fixit for the family
                    Chris

Comment

[QUOTE=EddyCurr;1175378]In my opinion, IOHS (Inherent Object Homing Skill) is an essential characteristic.

I don't IOHS. I have ADOS Attention deficit......Oh!.... Shiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                        ...The lost tool you give up and by a new one and then when done say OK where will I put this so I don't loose it for next time, and guess what it's the same place that I put the first one...
                        Done that so many times I'm starting to figure it's the best way to find something. No idea why I can't figure out "the best place to put it" when I don't have one in my hand. But, as soon as I have one, I know the spot where it should go, and there's the one I couldn't find.

David...
                        http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Stop looking for what you need and look for something else. You will find the original item then. Works for me. Now, where's the computer so I can send this message.
                          Nev.

Comment

My older brother had an imaginary friend named Stevie. Whenever something happened that my brother couldn’t explain he said “Stevie did it”. Like when my mom asked “who broke this?” Or “what happened to that?”, Stevie was blamed. When my brother died in 2003, that little [email protected] Stevie moved into my basement shop and has been moving my stuff around ever since!
                            Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                            Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

The only solution I have been able to discover is to put things back, when I remember to do it this works really well, unless putting things back is not where they normally are then I can't find those items either.

Comment

Working...
                              X