Arbor and chuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arbor and chuck

Never having assembled one, is it common to use loctite when installing a new arbor into a chuck?

Over the weekend I removed the old arbor from my newly aquired Albrecht chuck in preps for the new R8-J33 arbor. The old straight arbor had been coated with red loctite. I found this out when the arbor finally pop loose in the hydraulic press and bounced a few times.
    John

If the taper and socket are in good shape, you shouldn't need it.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

JPR. I've used it when the fit between the taper and chuck was less than perfect. A proper taper to chuck fit should make an almost permanent fit.

Comment

Shrink the chuck on its shank.

Clean the taper and the socket so it's grease free. Heat the chuck to 350 degrees. Moving quickly and using an oven mitt to handle the chuck, assemble it on the taper and intantly bang the tang of the taper once with an 8 oz hard hammer to seat it.

The chuck will shrink on the shank tighter than you can safely assemble it with a two ton press.

The heat will not hurt the chuck - it's much less than the tempering temperature of its components - but the oil may smell a little.
        No LokTite, no nothing.

Comment

Thanks, I have the chuck apart right now, so it is a perfect time since I can heat the body by itself.

I disassembled the used chuck for a clean & inspect and found some the 4mm balls missing. Everything else looked in excellent condition. Just waiting for the ball bearings to arrive.
          John

Comment

Working...
          X