What oil for lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil for lathe?

I noticed yesterday that there is no oil visible in the sight glass on my Enco 12x36 lathe. It's a model 110-2079 gear head with an open gear box on the bottom of the headstock. Any suggestions for what oil to fill it up with? It's probably due for an oil change anyway (unknown hours).

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Here is the manual.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6B...RULhdmgfL/view
    They say Shell Turbo T-68 or equivalent. Probably an ISO 68 viscosity

Edit: Found data

Shell TURBO Oil T 68 is a premium quality ISO VG 68 lubricating oil designed to provide excellent lubrication of precision turbines and many other industrial applications. This oil is made from severely hydroprocessed (API Group II) base oils, which have been carefully selected to provide satisfactory viscosity/temperature characteristics, low foaming tendencies and good water separation properties. In addition, it contains proven additives to protect equipment against rusting and to resist oxidation for long service life.

Equivalents are listed at a website (ignore the crazy quantities)

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/s...oss-reference/

Frankly, any decent ISO VG 68 should work fine. it's very questionable as to the chinese makers doing a life test with 10 different oils and selecting this one as the best......
    Last edited by J Tiers; 05-09-2018, 09:39 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Here is the manual.....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I6B...RULhdmgfL/view
      They say Shell Turbo T-68 or equivalent. Probably an ISO 68 viscosity

Edit: Found data

Shell TURBO Oil T 68 is a premium quality ISO VG 68 lubricating oil designed to provide excellent lubrication of precision turbines and many other industrial applications. This oil is made from severely hydroprocessed (API Group II) base oils, which have been carefully selected to provide satisfactory viscosity/temperature characteristics, low foaming tendencies and good water separation properties. In addition, it contains proven additives to protect equipment against rusting and to resist oxidation for long service life.

Equivalents are listed at a website (ignore the crazy quantities)

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/s...oss-reference/

Frankly, any decent ISO VG 68 should work fine. it's very questionable as to the chinese makers doing a life test with 10 different oils and selecting this one as the best......
      That's awesome, thanks a ton!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

For an ISO VG68 (equiv to SAE 20W) non-detergent oil from the Mobil/Exxon lineup of products suitable for machines, look for 'Mobil DTE Heavy Medium' from their so-called 'DTE Named Series'.

Available in the US in gallon and five gallon pail containers from the usual suspects.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Ind...E-Named-Series

A cross-reference for Shell T 68 equivalents suggests 'Mobil DTE 10 Excel 68', one of the choices from Mobil's 'DTE Numbered Series'. DTE 10 might cross from T 68, but Heavy Medium has been the Mobil 'go to' ISO 68 lubricant of choice for many machines for some time.

Edit: Oops, DTE Heavy Medium appears to be avail in gallon containers, not quarts in the US.

(From time to time I offer this and some other oils in 500ml and 1 L bottles with dispenser tops. But only locally for p/u, I don't ship.)
        Last edited by EddyCurr; 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM.

Comment

From previous posts in time, I thought a decent hydraulic oil would meet the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
            From previous posts in time, I thought a decent hydraulic oil would meet the specs.
            They do.
            An ISO 32-68 straight hydraulic oil makes an excellent lathe gearbox oil. They have an excellent R&O (rust and oxidation) additive package as well as possessing robust anti wear and anti foaming benefits. They make for an excellent spindle oil.
            Meeting the demands of high pressure gear, vane and axial hydraulic pumps and motors places way more demands on this type of oil than they will encounter in a lathe's gearbox.

The bonus is that these oils are available almost everywhere in quart and gallon sizes, so you're not stuck with a 5 gallon pail gathering dust.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
              For an ISO VG68 (equiv to SAE 20W) non-detergent oil from the Mobil/Exxon lineup of products suitable for machines, look for 'Mobil DTE Heavy Medium' from their so-called 'DTE Named Series'.

Available in the US in gallon and five gallon pail containers from the usual suspects.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Ind...E-Named-Series

A cross-reference for Shell T 68 equivalents suggests 'Mobil DTE 10 Excel 68', one of the choices from Mobil's 'DTE Numbered Series'. DTE 10 might cross from T 68, but Heavy Medium has been the Mobil 'go to' ISO 68 lubricant of choice for many machines for some time.

Edit: Oops, DTE Heavy Medium appears to be avail in gallon containers, not quarts in the US.

(From time to time I offer this and some other oils in 500ml and 1 L bottles with dispenser tops. But only locally for p/u, I don't ship.)
              +1 to that stuff. DTE Heavy Medium is what I use in my 13x36 Jet lathe headstock, and of course way oil (Vactra #4) at the other lube points.

A gallon of DTE Heavy Medium was not terribly expensive a couple years ago, although it's certainly enough to last a good long time even with a leaky spindle bearing seal.

Comment

DTE Heavy Medium is on that site's list of equivalents as well.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                  ... and of course way oil (Vactra #4) at the other lube points.
                  Vactra #4 ?? Umm, you might want to double-check what you have there.

Vactra #4 is an ISO VG 220 slideway lubricant, similar to SAE 50W. Heavy AND sticky. It has its place, a 13x36 isn't likely to be one of them.

For small to medium manual machines, Vactra #2 (ISO 68 / SAE 20W) is typically used for horizontal ways. Vactra #3 (ISO 150 / SAE 40W) is typically used for vertical ways.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    DTE Heavy Medium is on that site's list of equivalents as well.
                    J Tiers is correct. Petroleum Service shows DTE Heavy Medium crosses w/ Shell Turbo T 68. He provided a link in his original post

I had done my own search and unwittingly wound up on the page for Shell Tellus T 68, which crosses to Mobil 10 Excel 68.

I wondered in the moment because I had seen Shell T 68 cross to Mobil DTE H M in the past. After a brief look, I wrongly concluded Petroleum Service had changed the reference.

Thank you for the correction, J Tiers.

Comment

You still around txfireguy2003? I just picked up an Enco 110-2079 that had been damaged. I could use some info on hand crank sizes and such so I can get replacements.

Comment

Working...
                      X