Drill index proportions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill index proportions

I need a drill index to store metric drill bits in 0.1 increments up to 13.5mm , have not been able too find any thing commercially available

so i was thinking of making either a round stand type or rectangular one with a few rows

any advise on proportions, e.g. the smaller drill will be closer together and the spacing increases with size, is this a golden ratio thing or any rule of thumb to suit

I'd get a block of wood and try it out with small, medium and larger drills. See how it feels.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There was a drill stand I saw for fractional drills that arranged the drills in a way that put the 1/16'th sizes out on one line, the 1/32 steps over a little in a secondary line and the 1/64'th's in yet a third line. So the drills were sort of arranged in the same manner as many drill size charts. I thought that was freakin' brilliant. Haven't done it yet but it's still a great idea.

If I were doing a .1mm step metric drill setup up to 13.5mm I think I'd do a variation on that and make up a block with 14 rows of ten columns. The full mm size would be in the first column and the other 9 sizes would be along that row with the x.5mm middle size being done with a line of red to indicate the middle size. The rest should be pretty easy to count in or back from the "integer" first drill and the half mm split marked in red. Whatcha think?

One thing about using wood to hold drills like this is to drill the hole for each drill with the next size up for fractional drills and I'd go with TWO sizes up for metric. Otherwise the wood fibers along the inside of the holes creates a chinese finger puzzle type of lock on the drills. And in fact if the wood is a softwood I'd go a full 1/32 larger for fractional and probably a half mm for metric.

Maple or similar hardwood makes for a nice block. And to get the best clean holes spin the suckers at near maximum speed on a drill press.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Don't have that problem, but do have all sizes of US drills. not enough metric drills yet to be an issue, but the metric taps and dies are in the same type storage as the drills.

I decided, after some experience, that sticking them in a block, etc was just not the best. OK for large drills, like 1 1/2" (38.1mm), etc, but not for small ones. And, as soon as you have two drills the same size, you then have a storage problem again.

I went for drawers to put the bulk drills in. The everyday use ones are in one big index. I have drawers for all the fractionals, so far, partly for convenience, and partly because I have a bunch of each size. The overflow for others is in drill indexes, because I have more than one drill index for them.

You can get (in the US) 60 drawer arrays, with reasonable sized drawers, for not a lot of money. Label the fronts, and no problem. Drawers are maybe 45 x 25 mm, and 120mm or so deep.
        Last edited by J Tiers; 05-12-2018, 12:36 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I confronted a similar problem a few years back when someone needed to make a stand for some Allen Wrenches in a set. I thought I had posted about it, but I can not find that post either here or on PM where I also post with some frequency. He probably used a title that I can not remember.

I approached it with a fixed, final width of the stand, left to right edge, the number of wrenches, the size of the holes needed for the wrenches, and a percentage factor for the spacing on each end of the line. I used 75 % of the calculated space between the wrenches for that end space, but other factors can be easily used.

I used an Excel spreadsheet for this. It is not a finished, professional thing, but it does have explanatory notes along the way so you could use it. It calculates a uniform space between the holes and the end spaces for the percentage factor that is used. That poster found that the spacing that it calculated worked out very nicely.

I can calculate a set of spaces for your drills if you send me more information. Smallest drill size, some dimensions, round or rectangular, how many rows or circles, and what percentage you might want of the spacing that is used fro the ends. It may take some fiddling to work out the exact number of drills in each row or circle so they can come out more or less even. This approach will leave the same amount on the outside of each row but the spacing between the drills will be just a bit different for each one. So it will look nice.

Or I can send the Excel spreadsheet via e-mail or a LockBox if you want it. PM me in that case.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I have some sets of Allens that need stands. The original holders are flat worn out. This is a perfect project for my 3D printer.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by twopintsplease View Post
            I need a drill index to store metric drill bits in 0.1 increments up to 13.5mm , have not been able too find any thing commercially available

so i was thinking of making either a round stand type or rectangular one with a few rows

any advise on proportions, e.g. the smaller drill will be closer together and the spacing increases with size, is this a golden ratio thing or any rule of thumb to suit
            I was looking for one too and with hindsight I'm lucky that I didn't find one right away.
            IMO better to split the set in two, 1 to 10mm and 10 to 13.5mm. Because the 10 to 13.5mm alone is going to be pretty big and heavy!

Very cheap 1 to 10 mm round ones are available from ebay/aliexpress and the 10 to 13.5mm you can make by yourself. I'd make 4 rows by 10 columns, 20 to 25 mm grid.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              I confronted a similar problem a few years back when someone needed to make a stand for some Allen Wrenches in a set. I thought I had posted about it, but I can not find that post either here or on PM where I also post with some frequency. He probably used a title that I can not remember.

I approached it with a fixed, final width of the stand, left to right edge, the number of wrenches, the size of the holes needed for the wrenches, and a percentage factor for the spacing on each end of the line. I used 75 % of the calculated space between the wrenches for that end space, but other factors can be easily used.

I used an Excel spreadsheet for this. It is not a finished, professional thing, but it does have explanatory notes along the way so you could use it. It calculates a uniform space between the holes and the end spaces for the percentage factor that is used. That poster found that the spacing that it calculated worked out very nicely.

I can calculate a set of spaces for your drills if you send me more information. Smallest drill size, some dimensions, round or rectangular, how many rows or circles, and what percentage you might want of the spacing that is used fro the ends. It may take some fiddling to work out the exact number of drills in each row or circle so they can come out more or less even. This approach will leave the same amount on the outside of each row but the spacing between the drills will be just a bit different for each one. So it will look nice.

Or I can send the Excel spreadsheet via e-mail or a LockBox if you want it. PM me in that case.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I have some sets of Allens that need stands. The original holders are flat worn out. This is a perfect project for my 3D printer.
              I believe that was me Paul. You made the Excel spreadsheet for me a few years ago.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                A way to figure hole spacing. Started by sawlog 2014.02.06

Comment

On the Hout.com website they have their EDP 11250 index 1 to 5.9 mm by .1 mm for $ 18.00 usd. They also have a EDP 11200 for 6 to 10 mm by .1mm for $ 35.00 usd. I know this does't cover your whole range but covers the small drills that are more difficult to keep track of. I have used a Hout index in my shop for 35 years and it seems to have been well made back then.

Comment

I suspect the Compact Drill Cabinets sold today under the Huot brand are a pale copy of those sold in a past era.

Vintage cabinets seen at auctions were built from substantial ga sheet, with fixed curved metal inserts as the floor of each compartment.

Current ones may be made from lighter steel and employ less sturdy fabrication - or feel like it. The compartments may now just be ill-fitting molded plastic inserts. I recall seeing some 'modern' ones a while ago and being disappointed that another desirable shop accessory appeared to have undergone 'bean-counter rationalisation'.

Perhaps there are different grades of cabinets to target different segments.
                    Last edited by EddyCurr; 05-12-2018, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                      Perhaps there are different grades of cabinets to target different segments.
                      This appears to be the case. I was comparing apples to oranges.
                      • "Original Drill Cabinet": 14.625" W x 7.375" D x Height
                      • "Master Drill Cabinet": 26″ W x 12″ D x Height
                        Ball-bearing slides. Lockable.
                      • "Super Drill Cabinet": 34" W x 19.125" D x Height
                        18 GA. Solid welded drawer dividers. HD ball-bearing slides. Lockable.

Huot Product Page

Comment

Thanks for finding that thread. I searched for a half hour or more and could not find it.

I have replaced the missing photos in my #30 post there. They show the entire Excel spreadsheet and they have entries that show the formulae that are entered in the cells that do the work in columns G, H, I, J so you will know what to enter in the working column, B. Those photos should contain all the information needed to replicate the spreadsheet. I will add them to this post also.

Some have advocated some kind of proportional spacing for the holes in holders of this type. I thought of that but ultimately rejected it. My first thought was trying to get as many holes in as small of a space as possible. Most drill indexes are made this way. If you examine them, you will see that the spaces between adjacent holes are usually close to the same amount for all hole pairs. I suspect that any differences are from one row to another and reflect a desire to have the outer edges of the first and last hole in a row come out equal: this adds to the aesthetics of the pattern. So the spaces in some rows will be a bit larger than others: but not very much. Such indexes are OK to use: I have fat fingers but have little trouble picking drills from them. Another thought is if you are drilling wood for a stand, then you want some minimum space between the holes to prevent the wood from tearing out. This is just as important for small size holes as for larger ones.

So I went with spaces between the holes. I think if you actually try to use some kind of proportional spacing, you will not be happy with the wasted space. You do not need extra space between the lager drill sizes as they are easier to grab, not harder. You could even make an argument for larger spaces between smaller sizes.

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                        A way to figure hole spacing. Started by sawlog 2014.02.06
                        Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-12-2018, 04:49 PM.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

KBC should have metric drill indexes.

Comment

I bought a number drill index loaded with drill bit a while back and I don't really like it much. It has 3 or 4 rows like a conventional index but they all open together. The bits in the front row partially obscure the numbers by the bits in the next row etc. If you need a bit a couple of rows back it is quit a chore to see through the other rows to find the one you want. I should take the time to at least figure out how they are tied together and undo that so each row could be flipped up separately. One solution when making an index would be to make sure the holes are staggered so you at least have half a chance to see between the bits.
                            Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Cheers Paul i am checking out your spreadsheet i want to go from 1mm to 13.5mm in 0.1 steps

Mattij i will take that on board doing a two piece setup

The Hout cases look interesting the draws are a bit of overkill as i have only one drill in most of the sizes, and it appears Hout don't have an overseas option, i am in Australia

No wood will be ally or maybe a plastic of some sort (acetal)

I will start laying out some some measurements i am thinking rectangular multi row as MattiJ suggested

thank you every one for you ideas

Comment

Working...
                              X