No announcement yet.

has anyone seen this before off topic ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone seen this before off topic ?

Just opened my computer asked and completed a small quiz where I seemingly won a Microsoft phone. And then to collect your prize fill in details below, All asking for all personal details inc my bank details etc I shut it down at that point needless to say I did not type in my bank details . All questions were very easy and all to do with Microsoft etc. Has anyone else heard of this? It seems like an obvious CON, but how do they get away with it.?.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

It seems to be not too hard to spoof the address a message appears to be coming from. And someone can pretty well duplicate the look and feel of some company's web site so that's how they set it up to get you to give away private information.

Interestingly I've had three phone calls within a week with a recorded message saying there was a federal action against me and that I needed to call this number to talk to a government agent to settle it right away. Of course it's a scam so I usually just block that phone number. After the last one I looked up the place to report such things to the government. Chances are no action will be possible since the outfit will use a different number by the time it comes to the attention of officials.

However, the info on the website suggested also reporting to the local police and I do remember seeing occasional warnings in the newspaper of current popular scams. So I called my local just to leave information about this currently popular ploy. The woman I talked to said unfortunately that there was nothing they could do. No problem, I understand they can't stop the perpetrators. She went on to say that these calls were from outside the country anyway so couldn't be traced. "Wait a monent" I said. "The recorded message says to call this number, which is the same number the phone reports, so how could it be from outside the country? They have to use a number they can get me to call back on." It didn't make any difference. She just repeated that there was nothing they could do and it was usually from outside the country. Sheesh! I would have thought there was at least a minimal IQ required to be even a receptionist at a police department.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

The scammers can be anyplace in the world and thanks to the WWW spoof any number they want. Now they are into spoofing local cell phone numbers and when you answer... short delay and then the sales pitch or whatever starts. No there is nothing that can be done except education and Joe Average not falling for every scam that comes along. Its called using your common sense.
      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie View Post
        Just opened my computer asked and completed a small quiz where I seemingly won a Microsoft phone. And then to collect your prize fill in details below, All asking for all personal details inc my bank details etc I shut it down at that point needless to say I did not type in my bank details . All questions were very easy and all to do with Microsoft etc. Has anyone else heard of this? It seems like an obvious CON, but how do they get away with it.?.
        Those types of cons are child's play to pull off. Want to see some impressive cons? Watch The Sting (1973) (thanks danlb!)

Comment

And do not push 1 or 2 or what ever number to be removed from there call list that just lets them know it's an active number, JUST HANG UP

Comment

Alistair, I've even had telemarketing calls from my own number! I can block up to 25 numbers through my carrier, and report sales calls to NOMOROBO, a free screening service. Calls still get through, but if the number is known to NOMOROBO, it only rings once.
            I've been on the National and State 'do not call list' since it's inception. We all know how worthless they are...
            I say telephone call routing is the same as e-mail, computer based, and the carriers have the knowledge and capability of tracking these low-lifes down and prosecuting them. After all, they know how to route these calls to you, the just don't want to spend the money on it...
            It took me several years to train my wife to not answer a call if she doesn't recognize the given name, an unknow name, or an unknown number.
            Last edited by chucketn; 05-12-2018, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Where did the notification come from?
              If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

I had asimiler thing from google thanking me for my support. all I had to do was send one euro to get my phone and an adress.

Comment

Working...
                X