Sump pump stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump pump stand

My basement sump pump has some very heavy flows of water to contend with in the early spring, so I have a normal 120 volt sump pump and a 12 volt d.c. emergency backup pump with battery which comes on if the electricity goes out. Last week the electricity was out for 5 hours, and I discovered that my emergency back up sump pump was seized up. Oh Joy!!! Fortunately, I also have a generator which did start for me, and I sat up babysitting the generator until one in the morning when the electricity came back on. The emergency backup sump pump was a submersible type, and I think over the four years since I bought it, water had seeped into the case, causing it to seize up. Some careful measuring shows that under normal circumstances the water never gets any higher than 6 1/2" deep in my sump hole before the 110 volt pump comes on and pumps all the water out. So--I built a stand 7" tall for my new emergency backup sump pump will set on. If I've done this right, the emergency back up sump pump will remain high and dry unless there is an actual emergency and the water rises more than 7". I have some monkeying around to do with the float switches and then I will unplug my 110 volt pump and run a hose from a tap into the hole and see if this is going to work.

Brian Rupnow

Everything is back together and everything works. I hope this back up sump pump lasts longer than its predecessor. I am a bit horrified at how much a simple job like this takes out of me. I could have done this at sixty with one hand tied behind my back and a blindfold on. At almost seventy two, I feel like I'd just ran a marathon or something. And if anybody wants to know how I attached the aluminum "stand" to the sump pump--I resorted to my old stand-by---"Bungee cords". I always have a dozen of them kicking around behind the seat on my half-ton truck for "tie-downs". Today two of them gave up their lives to hold the stand securely to the pump motor.
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

I have to say. That is a very clean sump room. Yes, I use submersibles that are under water the entire time. I think the seals are giving out. My GFI pops before the pump seizes though. JR
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
      X