What material to use to fill a void?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What material to use to fill a void?

What material could I use to fill the void between the two shapes you see in the picture? The material should remain flexible but firm. It could either be cnc machined to fit or be in the form of a liquid, gel, paste or some form of mixed two component substance that would be contained in a bladder that would get compressed between the two shapes. It would be best for it to set up to retain the shape but remain somewhat soft but very firm. The bladder so to speak would be the same shape as the outline of the two shapes so the gel, etc. would not be able to be squeezed out the sides.

Curing time should be as short as possible. Cnc machining would be my last choice for convenience purposes.

I had thought about ordinary bathroom type silicone caulking but would it cure in an airtight bladder? And it would take to long to cure even if it would.

Last edited by Black Forest; 05-13-2018, 06:22 AM.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

How about silicone?

Comment

2-component silicone rubber or urethane rubber. Available in various hardness grades from soft jelly to rock hard.

Comment

This is one line of castable stuff. Lots of versions available for almost any application. I've not dealt with this stuff in many years, but this was the brand I was familiar with when we were using that at a place I once worked. There are no doubt others. You can adjust the hardness with additives.

http://www.itwadhesives.com/brands/d...able-urethanes

Comment

I think I'd make a silicone mold to hold the two pieces in the correct orientation, then pour a castable urethane into the remaining cavity.

Comment

what is it supposed to do? rock? by how much. you cant compress stuff indefinitely. tats probably why op is talking about a bladder. try and use springs.

Comment

Casting Urethane. Many durometer choices. Choose one or two.

Comment

Dark Matter. The universe is filled with the stuff apparently.

Comment

I assume you want the material to be in the bladder so it won't stick to the parts. But two part silicone rubber is intended for making molds so it is made to cure into rubber without a high bond of any sort so it can be peeled off the part. The first time the parts are separated there's SOME bond but it's like peeling off masking tape. After that it's just any residual surface tension.

The castable silicone rubber is runny when not yet cured though. So you'd need to tape around the bottom and sides and then pour it in the top.

Comment

If you want to use the bathroom silicone rubber, just spritz tome water into the bag first. That'll make it cure.

Comment

Lots of 2 part silicone in various hardness from Smooth-On. I use Sorta-Clear all the time for food molds.
                      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        Casting Urethane. Many durometer choices. Choose one or two.
                        Yup, many possibilities--depending exactly what you're trying to do there shouldn't be any need for a
                        bladder...
                        Keith

Comment

It will definately have to be in a bladder.
                          How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Must it be a material? Could the same object be accomplished using a mechanical damper such as a spring?

Comment

While probably not suitable for your application, canned spray foam insulation (like Great Stuff) works really well for many 'support' functions.

Comment

Working...
                              X