Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. What can i do with 1mg of Quantum Dots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. What can i do with 1mg of Quantum Dots?

Hi,

My one Daughter, who does research on manufacturing them, says she can get me 1mg of them for a really good price. If I make a very large donation to the UofM, I can get as much as I want.

She tells me that they wouldn't be of any use to take over the world, (unless I get the heavy metal Dots, which are quite dangerous according to her - so those are out). Her dots are photo-voltaic sensitive and bond with plastics very well. Evidently they do some things that current physics say that shouldn't really happen.

So other than using them to turn every window in the house into transparent solar panels, any ideas on a home project use?

(It's Sunday morning and I'm really bored right now)
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

For some reason, the concept of "flea powder" comes to mind. Really hi-tech flea powder.

Comment

Hi,

Flea powder, now that never occured to me. She's not sure how hard they are, maybe a really tiny boring bar? All I would need is a laser, vacuum chamber, and an electron microscope.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Unfortunately they’ve already been militarised to deliver really bad things to as usual, us, plus they accumulate in places you don’t want stuff accumulated at, in, or around, the story was originally targeted medication, targeted death followed closely, very high tech ways to kill are profitable.
        However if we manage to pry the technology out of the military’s sweaty paws they promise no end of advances.
        Mark

Comment

Hi,

On a serious note, Quantum Dot research that my Daughter does is quite removed from military use. Think making every window in the world into a solar panal that is still glass clear. She says 5 to 10 more years or so and it should be commercially viable for something like skyscrapers.

She did do a bit of work with nano particles for a medical research group because their recipe was highly toxic. I think it had selenium in it. She told them to look at a different class of materials and gave them some instructions on how to make them, (she was not really impressed with that group). But she didn't really have much interest in the project. She felt it was a soon to be obsolete idea.

Overall, I agree that it's an exciting and promising field of research.

Comment

I think we're on the edge of a 'new' technology with quantum dots, nano particle sheets, etc. Watch for large corporations dishing out intolerable grief to one man shows and small businesses who are making advances in the technology as they try to gain a monopoly on it. Putting that inevitability aside for the moment, I can see a wide range of useful products coming out of this research- like maybe underwear that is so stretchy that it can function as it's own condom and be STD-resistant at the same time.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              ... I can see a wide range of useful products coming out of this research- like maybe underwear that is so stretchy that it can function as it's own condom and be STD-resistant at the same time.
              I believe Borat's Mankini was first to market some time ago in that segment.

Comment

You could start with counting them. That should keep you busy for a while.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                  I think we're on the edge of a 'new' technology with quantum dots, nano particle sheets, etc. ...
                  Every week, something new. LEDs wide enough you can see, and 3 atoms thick. Atoms... not millimetres, or micrometres, or nanometres, or femtometres... atoms, 3 of them. Yeah, yeah... lets see how they solder wires to them... don't have to, they're laying them on glass and using capacitance to light them up. Like LCD but high frequency. They figure they'll have transparent windows that are LED displays in a few years. So, now we get quantum dots on the other side generating power. All on a window you can see through.

Read a while back they're working on "quantum radar," which is basically sending out one quantum-entangled particle and seeing when its pair changes state. No way you can out-stealth that as nothing has to bounce back. Only problem is making all the entangled pairs... a week later, some other team announces they have a new way to make, literally, buckets of them at a shot.

Ceramic nano fibres made in bulk for cheap, basically like dryer lint, that is going to change insulation. Yesterday it was some paper on self-assembling (aka cheap) 3D hexagonal structures with porous channels that will make air filters that can screen out viruses. Viruses are pretty small.

Every week, something new.

Funny thing is you hear very little about the end result. I'm sure much of it is out there, but it just doesn't make the news in the same way the initial discoveries do. Like, what happened with that induction heat-treated "super steel" that was suppose to be stronger and yet more crush-able than normal steel? Anyone hear of it getting used?

I suppose it will will be like 3D printers... lots of hype, then little to nothing for years... until the original patents start expiring. Then, they're everywhere.

David...
                  http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

And I'm still waiting for my jet pack, flying car, and robot to clean my house.

There is language for you sheltered types.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SCu9yiBlo
                    Andy

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                      Every week, something new. LEDs wide enough you can see, and 3 atoms thick. Atoms... not millimetres, or micrometres, or nanometres, or femtometres... atoms, 3 of them. Yeah, yeah... lets see how they solder wires to them... don't have to, they're laying them on glass and using capacitance to light them up. Like LCD but high frequency. They figure they'll have transparent windows that are LED displays in a few years. So, now we get quantum dots on the other side generating power. All on a window you can see through.

Read a while back they're working on "quantum radar," which is basically sending out one quantum-entangled particle and seeing when its pair changes state. No way you can out-stealth that as nothing has to bounce back. Only problem is making all the entangled pairs... a week later, some other team announces they have a new way to make, literally, buckets of them at a shot.

Ceramic nano fibres made in bulk for cheap, basically like dryer lint, that is going to change insulation. Yesterday it was some paper on self-assembling (aka cheap) 3D hexagonal structures with porous channels that will make air filters that can screen out viruses. Viruses are pretty small.

Every week, something new.

Funny thing is you hear very little about the end result. I'm sure much of it is out there, but it just doesn't make the news in the same way the initial discoveries do. Like, what happened with that induction heat-treated "super steel" that was suppose to be stronger and yet more crush-able than normal steel? Anyone hear of it getting used?

I suppose it will will be like 3D printers... lots of hype, then little to nothing for years... until the original patents start expiring. Then, they're everywhere.

David...
                      Hi,

While patents do have some influence, much of this type of research is University based. Access to patents is generally not withheld in that case. They ain't hiding anything. My Daughter often complains about all the travel and speaking she has to do for academic and industry groups. It interferes with her lab time.

Much of what you read and hear about the latest and greatest "break through that will rock your world" is created by sensational headlines and beat writers that have no clue about the real science and development timelines. Kids these days call it "clickbait". Got to sell ads you know. So take it all with a large bucket of salt. They aren't going to write about the unsexy grind it takes to actually make this stuff ready for primetime on your local Wal-Mart shelf.

There are great and fantastic ideas and discoveries being made even as we speak. A wondrous new world awaits - but it's just not all getting here at once tomorrow. These things take time.

Comment

This stuff is so far beyond my pay scale but.....from what I understand from this thread is that in the future I can have my big picture window in the living room be a self powering television that you can also see out of, but the neighbors can see in?

Comment

Originally posted by fixerdave View Post
                          .....Every week, something new.........

Funny thing is you hear very little about the end result....
                          It wasn't that long ago.... maybe 25 to 30 years?..... that I read about this amazing new development that modified carbon so it formed a linked fiber and how it was stronger than steel. And look where that is today. But it took figuring out how to make it for cheap. I'm sure a lot of these other whizbang developments are going to be the same where developing the item is one thing. Making it cheaply in large quantity will be another.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            This stuff is so far beyond my pay scale but.....from what I understand from this thread is that in the future I can have my big picture window in the living room be a self powering television that you can also see out of, but the neighbors can see in?
                            Well, they did say they had figured out colour, but the pixels are still pretty big because of how they're being powered. So, more like your window is your living room light all day and all night, until you go to bed. After you close the curtains, it becomes a billboard so your neighbours have to close their curtains I mean, no reason they couldn't have LEDs on both sides of the glass. Think of a high-rise with an entire wall being a moving display... yeah, time to move to the country.

So, yeah, in this case, it's one of those "look at this completely transparent LED!" Now they're trying to figure out what to do with it.

Having all the glass in a modern high-rise be a solar panel, even an inefficient one, would likely be very good, if they could do it cheap enough. I've not heard of that one before. Solar panel paint, roof tiles, and stuff, but not a window.

David...
                            http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X