No announcement yet.

OT: coming anti-robocall system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont get any (NONE) spam on my cell. Also dont give the number to any businesses, just friends.

Now my land line? Its terrible. Prolly 10+ a day.

I will try nomorobo. Thanks for the heads up. JR

Comment

I just leave it to the answering machine (yep... not voicemail) - set to answer in 6 rings. Robo doesn't wait that long... Rarely one gets though.

Comment

I just let all calls go to voicemail if I don't recognize the number and if it's spam I block the number. Problem that I get is that their number is blocked but they can still leave a voicemail.

For a couple of years I have been getting bombarded with calls from the "express debit card line" or something like that. Their number is 888-741-1115. I blocked the number and they still leave voicemails. I google the name and it says they are a processing center for direct social security payments. I don't get social security yet so I don't know why they want to talk to me.

Brian
        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I've been using this for several years with no issues. Of course it's used on a landline and better yet free. I don't give my cell phone number to anyone but family and close friends. I never get telemarketing calls on it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/jcblock/

-SD:
          Last edited by Smokedaddy; 05-20-2018, 04:33 PM.

Comment

It's so sad that in this day and age of being able to contact anyone, any time, any where that our phones have been rendered nearly useless. I usually can't hear my phone during the day. I shut it off at night. All it's really good for is calling for help if my car craps out. I only answer if it's someone I know.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
              Well, for what ever the reason....... My carrier allows me to block up to 100 calls, I filed that list with in a couple weeks. Then I have to start deleting some so I can add new ones. It never ends.
              NOMOROBO has been working pretty well. It's probably stopped about 90% of the BS calls which for me sometimes start at 8:00 am and can got until 10:00 pm. Quite annoying.
              Some calls even show up on my caller ID as local numbers and names. I guess that's called "neighborhood spoofing".
              Some calls are now showing up with "SPAM" in the caller ID, the phone rings once and that's it. The one ring means the call was blocked, but even the one ring is enough to distract me if I'm on a machine or doing something.

JL...............
              I use Magic Jack for my landline,never get any calls there.My cell though has been getting hammered.I buy my car insurance online and the instant I signed up for it and paid the first premium that's when my cell started getting hit.Always from insurance companies of all types or credit card offers,about 60 calls this week.

As for numbers,some show from out of state,but most are local prefixes from nearby townships.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

These dirtbags aren't trying to call you or me. They're trying to call someone who is gullible enough to believe that someone would call them out of the blue and offer a free vacation , lower their credit card interest rate, a prescription discount card that gets huge discounts on EVERYTHING, ...you name it. I mean seriously, who would believe that an independent agency would negotiate a lower rate for anyone? How would they make money? Why would you own bank call out of the blue and offer to lower your rate? But I digress. I'll go along with them for several minutes and then ask how can I get the lowest rate/best price, etc...

Ok here is where I'm editing my post. I'll ask if I can get a better price/rate in exchange for things I can't post here. Boy do they get mad. I love it.

Comment

I take and plug in the fax machine on my 3 in 1 printer. Picks up on the second ring. They immediately hang up. After about two weeks of these calls being picked up by the fax, they stop calling. Not a long term fix, but does work for few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    Well, for what ever the reason....... My carrier allows me to block up to 100 calls, I filed that list with in a couple weeks. Then I have to start deleting some so I can add new ones. It never ends.
                    NOMOROBO has been working pretty well. It's probably stopped about 90% of the BS calls which for me sometimes start at 8:00 am and can got until 10:00 pm. Quite annoying.
                    Some calls even show up on my caller ID as local numbers and names. I guess that's called "neighborhood spoofing".
                    Some calls are now showing up with "SPAM" in the caller ID, the phone rings once and that's it. The one ring means the call was blocked, but even the one ring is enough to distract me if I'm on a machine or doing something.

JL...............
                    The problem with blocking is that the blockees know they're being blocked so they just use a number for a short time and then move on. Some waste of oxygen has probably even figured out how many calls to make before changing numbers. (If only he could use his math powers for good! -- Oh this isn't the TV Tropes thread.)

Comment

NomoRobo works because the service asks all participants to report any number that hasn't been blocked and gets through to you. It's easy to log onto their website and report the number and the caller ID. I have reduced the annoying calls from 3 to 5 a day down to 1 or 2 a week. As soon as I get a robo call or telemarketer, I quickly report it, and protect many other people from receiving the same annoying call. Check out nomorobo.com It works.

"Hi I'm Dave calling from the fulfillment department. Your wellness package is ready to be shipped!
                      And don't forget Veronica from credit card services.
                      457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

Originally posted by fixxit View Post
                        I quickly report it, and protect many other people from receiving the same annoying call.
                        Keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by fixxit View Post
                          NomoRobo works because the service asks all participants to report any number that hasn't been blocked and gets through to you. It's easy to log onto their website and report the number and the caller ID.
                          My VOIP line has it but it does nothing, most calls at this point are from spoofed local numbers, they don't use the same ones twice.

Comment

Last month my house number, which is on the Do Not Call list, got a couple of calls, still on the answering machine (and digitally copied to my HDD), from an outfit called the Nielsen Rating Co. .... after which I got a letter (with a dollar enclosed!) from them saying they had been calling but had been unable to reach me. I since then got a second letter, still unopened. Those calls were all in violation of Federal Law as explained in many places, here included:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ded-calls.html

Last year, a number of people I know qualified for this class action lawsuit, already approved by the presiding judge:
                            http://time.com/money/4902758/cruise...on-spam-calls/

I have never had any association with Nielsen nor given any prior consent; the question probably is how they will respond, having already admitted on paper to the violations, if I point out the monetary penalties and request remuneration for violating my privacy?
                            A local TV News program likes to do "investigative reports" about things like this; wouldn't exactly be good publicity, and even better, cases like this can actually be filed in Small Claims court.

Comment

I have an answering machine. I/we listen to the incoming calls and just do not answer if it is not someone we want to talk to. Of course, we have to erase a lot of short messages. But I think they must detect the machines because most are not repeats.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by CreakyOne View Post
                                Last month my house number, which is on the Do Not Call list, got a couple of calls, still on the answering machine (and digitally copied to my HDD), from an outfit called the Nielsen Rating Co. .... after which I got a letter (with a dollar enclosed!) from them saying they had been calling but had been unable to reach me. I since then got a second letter, still unopened. Those calls were all in violation of Federal Law as explained in many places, here included:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ded-calls.html

Last year, a number of people I know qualified for this class action lawsuit, already approved by the presiding judge:
                                http://time.com/money/4902758/cruise...on-spam-calls/

I have never had any association with Nielsen nor given any prior consent; the question probably is how they will respond, having already admitted on paper to the violations, if I point out the monetary penalties and request remuneration for violating my privacy?
                                A local TV News program likes to do "investigative reports" about things like this; wouldn't exactly be good publicity, and even better, cases like this can actually be filed in Small Claims court.
                                Well that is kinda stupid. I too have got brand new crisp one dollar bills in the mail.

I usually do like everyone else and peel the bill from the trash and discard the trash. JR

Comment

Working...
                                X