X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horrible Fright

Hi,

I ran over to then nearest HF store today to get a Bad Lands 2500lbs winch for my Gator 4x4. It was on sale and they get generally good reviews.

While there, I picked up an SAE set of t-handle hex wrenches that are also on sale. Imagine my surprise when the box said "Lifetime Guarantee" on it. I should buy the metric set also.

I asked about the warranty at the checkout. The clerk said yep, just bring in the broken tool and we will replace it. No receipt needed either. Evidently, HF now offers some Lifetime warranties on some products. We shall see how well it works. I can sometimes get kind of hard on hex wrenches. Even top brands like Bondus won't warranty their stuff anymore.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
    Hi,

I ran over to then nearest HF store today to get a Bad Lands 2500lbs winch for my Gator 4x4. It was on sale and they get generally good reviews.

While there, I picked up an SAE set of t-handle hex wrenches that are also on sale. Imagine my surprise when the box said "Lifetime Guarantee" on it. I should buy the metric set also.

I asked about the warranty at the checkout. The clerk said yep, just bring in the broken tool and we will replace it. No receipt needed either. Evidently, HF now offers some Lifetime warranties on some products. We shall see how well it works. I can sometimes get kind of hard on hex wrenches. Even top brands like Bondus won't warranty their stuff anymore.
    I went crazy years ago and bought like 10 sets of SAE and Metric HF T-handle hex wrenches. The kind that come in that yellow steel holder. I have them everywhere and they often fall over dumping the t-handles wrenches all over the place. I can't imagine actually bringing a tool back to HF for warranty. It seems like if it lasted for 5 minutes you already got more than your money worth with most of their stuff.

Comment

You got some cheap tools that you're (so far) happy with, but still pejoratively mock their name in the title?

Come on guy! Us cheapskates need tools too.

Comment

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
        You got some cheap tools that you're (so far) happy with, but still pejoratively mock their name in the title?

Horrible Freight is the correct spelling. It comes from the horrible freight ships used for transporting everything from China. The Chinese translator screwed up and accidentally called it Harbor Freight and they just haven't bothered changing it yet.

Comment

Harbor ****e.

Comment

Originally posted by kev74 View Post

Hi,

These hex wrenches will fit right in with my Central Machinery 8x14 lathe and drill press, digital mic and 4" caliper, plus a few various other knick knacks. So I might be a connoisseur of cheap tools too! Egg money matters!
            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Is that the life of the tool, the product life or the remaining HF life expectancy.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
                Hi,

Get the combination set like this one.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-pc-...set-63167.html

Same warranty, ball end on the long part, standard straight on the side of the handle so you can use the long part for more leverage. I've managed to break off the ball end on one of the smallest but grinding it off left me with a long reach straight hex and I rarely need the ball end on one that small.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                  It comes from the horrible freight ships used for transporting everything from China.
                  What, you got norovirus on the journey?

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                    Is that the life of the tool, the product life or the remaining HF life expectancy.
                    They say: We guarantee our Hand Tools to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the product. Limitations apply."

When it dies, its life is over...so the warrantee is too...? Guess I shouldn't complain though, cause I didn't come with any warrantee.

Comment

There are some tools that are easy to get right. Allen wrenches are one of those products. I don't mind getting them from HF.

I have enough of those cheap sets that I can afford to dedicate wrenches to single uses such as the hex cap on my toolmakers vise or the adjuster on my belt sander. It's much easier than trying to remember if it's 8mm or 5/16 inch.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Back a few years I bought two or three of those sets. Never had any issues with them. Cept for the holder. I always had the hardest time getting them back in the holder. JR

Comment

I have several rolling toolboxes full of Craftsman tools that I bought over several years many years ago.
                          They have all served me well and I have no complaints.
                          Lately I have been buying some HF tools and think they are almost as good as the Craftsman. Some are better.
                          IMHO the top brands of tools are a ripoff. Especially the ones that come to professional shops in a truck.
                          Bill
                          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

I stopped into the brand new HF they built here in town. I was looking for weld on hinges, they had none, I left.
                            Andy

Comment

I was just in one of the local HF stores today. I had a pair of their extra long diagonal cutters that the tip broke off due to my severe abuse of the tool. As normal, they replaced it no questions asked. A lot of kidding around about HF but their warranty on the hand tools is as good as any in the business. If its broke, they give you another no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
                              X