Help with old mill tilting shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with old mill tilting shaft

I'm toiling away try to get my old Index model 40 apart, deloused and repainted. I'm taking the head off and found my first problem. It appears that, at some point, the taper pin that holds the head and shaft together for sheared off. I suspect this might be a somewhat common happening on these mills and perhaps others of the same design??? Anyway there is enough galling on the shaft that I can't back it out of the casting. At the rear most hole in the main casting is where it gets stuck. I'm looking for some advice on taking down the falling without messing up the shaft diameter. It's a tight fit on the head and shaft. The taper pin location is just inside the front of the casting where the head mounts so I can't just use a strip of Emory cloth etc.
    I tried to remove the gear and support arm so I could remove the shaft from the front but the shaft isn't budging from the gear and arm. The taper pin that holds the gear on popped right out and the Allen set screw that holds the arm on backed out easily as well but the shaft isn't moving with a piece of aluminum round stock and a 3 lb lump hammer.
    Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Never mind - got it out
    Last edited by challenger; 05-29-2018, 02:43 PM.

Hmmm ... Well good . I was trying to think , and then I read Alum. round stock and a 3lb. perswayder .

Comment

Now I'm trying to get the arm and tilt gear off the shaft. I have a puller on the gear but I'm afraid I'll break the gear and I don't want to do that[emoji4]. Maybe the hot wrench???

Comment

The hot wrench that's what I was thinking . I would think that if there are no mushrooms from the 3lb . and you can get a good grip with the puller only heating the gear . Do you think it's stuck from corrosion ?

Comment

I got it off but it was very difficult. I used a propane torch to heat the arm and gear and screwed the puller as hard as I dared. Then I beat on the puller screw and it started to move. It was tough the whole way due to set screw that secured the arm had galled the shaft big time.

Comment

Good on you @challenger , you stuck with it and got the job done . Maybe a little soft material under that set screw on put together ?

Comment

Originally posted by markwesti View Post
              Good on you @challenger , you stuck with it and got the job done . Maybe a little soft material under that set screw on put together ?
              Perhaps but I really don't know.
              I'm almost ready to start painting and then reassemble. I purchased the manual years ago but it is nowhere to be found so I'm on the hunt for another if you happen to have any leads???
              Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X