Alfa Tools Mini-Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfa Tools Mini-Review

I was growing tired of searching through poor tool descriptions on E-Bay, no finding what I was needing etc. I found out a couple of years ago that my Cornwell Tools dealer (the tool truck that comes to my day job) could get me some machining stuff from a place called Alfa Tools.

https://www.alfatools.com/AlfaTools.htm

Since then I've been getting as much tooling and tools as I can through this place. The Cornwell guy only comes by once a week and when you include the fact that the stuff has to be shipped to him, I get my stuff in two weeks. Some stuff is made in the USA, some from Bosnia etc. but it's all been very good so far. Certainly good enough for a hobbyist like me. As for pricing it's OK, but if you're used to the $.50/ton Chinesium tooling, you're going to be disappointed.

Pros: Business is in Morton Grove, IL so my money not only goes to the best Cornwell tool guy around, but also to a "local" business. The quality of the end mills, lathe tool blanks and insert boring bars I've purchased are very good. I also purchased a DTI and dial calipers (both Precimat brand) and have been please with those as well. The biggest surprise was a set of "Silver & Demming" drills. 9/16" to 1" in sixteenths, I want to say I paid around $290 for them and they weren't the "Made in USA" option either. But, when I got them I saw they were made in the US. Except for a wonky flat ground on one shaft they're flawless.

Cons: Not "Chinese cheap". Shipping (for me because things go through the tool guy) is slow. I can't speak for any other purchasing methods.

Give 'em a try if you're interested. No, they didn't bribe me with anything to do a review. In fact, I've never had any contact with Alfa Tools.

I'm all for supporting a quality vender/manufacturer

How do you get prices? I partially downloaded the catalogue and looked online
    Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

My local hardware store had an Alpha Tools catalog on the counter. I got a couple end mills from them. No complaints.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hunter View Post
        I'm all for supporting a quality vender/manufacturer

How do you get prices? I partially downloaded the catalogue and looked online
        I'm not sure. I hand my tool guy a list of part numbers and he looks up the prices.

Comment

Working...
        X