Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machine placement (lifting) help...?

Hello Members,

I appreciate all the responses I've had so far to my questions regarding my Kondia FV-1.

I am now trying to get the machine certified fit for use in the European Union (please, no snickering.. and one of the qualifications is that the machine rests on anti-vibrating pedestals (which I have recently acquired). Now for the fun part:
    The machine was positioned in my shop with a small crane as far in as the armature would allow. It was placed on wood planks similar to 2x4's and is currently resting about 6-8cm off the ground. To place the anti-vibration pedestals under the machine I would need to lift the machine (total weight: ca.1100 kg.) up about another 5cm (the pedestals are threaded and must be inserted from the bottom), first the front, then the back. My problem is that I have no way of lifting the machine up to execute this maneuver. The crane made a one-time visit as it was a very costly trip for the initial installation so I am not seriously considering calling them back. I have asked around in the nearest town if anybody has a machine jack that I could rent/borrow, but to no avail.

Not understating my lack of knowledge in this field I was wondering if anybody has any good ideas that my be of help in lifting this machine up as described above. I have read of riggings from the ceiling and other various forms of pulleys, however, my roof structure is just capable of supporting itself.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again for the assistance.

P.S. Has anybody ever experienced the certification process of a machine that was built pre-EU?

Several alternatives come to mind. Is there a way to alter the pads to make the threaded part seperate and then assemble as the machine stands?
    5cm is about 2 inches. What about a long pinch bar and fulcrum and a series of small shims. Raise each side alternately, say in 1cm increments and place shims until the required height is reached. I have done this many times on machinery that was much heavier than 1100kg. You just have to keep your eye on the CG.

Comment

Prybars, or a toe-jack (House jack/railroad jack) will raise it that far.
      David from jax
      A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

As per Rustybolt. The insights of Archimedes re: levers still apply. A good long prybar and a supply of thin wood blocks ought to do it. Work your way up, gradually. A helper to insert the blocks as you lift (or vice-versa) will make it easier. Just be sure everybody keeps their fingers out from under...always.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

And when using nose bars, and before lowering always shout clear and get a positive confirmation. Don't ask me how I know.

John B
          John B

Comment

Wow,

I knew this was the place to come for answers. When I saw the crane guys trying to maneuver the machine around (three people) and having difficulty, I thought there was no way I would be able to do it myself.

I followed your advice (everyone's) and was able to lift it up, corner by corner, and place the pads using all-thread as per rustybolt's advice; didn't think my meager 68kg could swing it, but I lifted it with one hand!

Thanks to all for the valued information, you saved me endless amounts of time and money.

Best regards to everyone!

Ciao!
            dmc

Comment

Hey, the Egyptians built the pyramids....
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

SGW:

Yes but they used methods the previous generations had developed.. it was "not" rollers and sticks like they taught me in school.. The teacher was dreaming, I read a engineering time frame on building it that way and.. it is still being built.. And the guy in Florida who unloaded his massive stone blocks with no crane? Alone? HOW?

ALSO, ever read about Easter Island? we still don't have cranes that can pick up and transport them carved rocks.

Lost technology somewhere. Find it and get rich..

David

Comment

Working...
                X