(O/T?) Air compressor manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (O/T?) Air compressor manifolds

I only have a small compressor for odd jobs, and just upgraded to a slightly bigger chinesium job. It has all the same fittings, but bigger motor and bigger receiver. Crucially it has the same terrible cast zinc manifold that cracks if you so much as look at it while holding a small crescent wrench. One single wrap of PTFE tape on the threads? Crack. After all this time the part can still be acquired for a few dollars/pounds/yuan on the usual interweb marketplaces. Has anyone made their own manifold?

It needs to hold 120 psi without blowing apart.

Not exactly rocket science to make a new one. At least my super cheapo compressor has brass manifold. But the quick fittings are as sh***y as usual, replaced with CEJN fittings that cost almost half of the compressor price

Comment

Should be quite trivial to slap something together with NPT SCH40 pipe, or sweat something together with copper fittings. Copper is my favorite now so I'd build the manifold out of copper fittings sweated together.

Damn, I miss all of the fun I had building my copper air distribution system. At least I'll be able to do a tinny bit of copper work when I eventually install the solenoid valve and flow sensor on the copper pipe that feeds my sprinkler system for my controller build project.

Comment

Not for an air compressor but similar construction for other projects. I got a free, used Oxygen Concentrator recently which sounded built-in alarms after being on a few minutes....and upon opening it, found two nylon "T" 's which had broken. I didn't find any locally, and although that particular shape and style fitting was listed in McMaster-Carr, it cost more than I wanted to pay, plus would require shipping costs and then waiting...so I fabricated my own of brass fitting parts, using 45% silver solder.

Your unit could just be assembled of good quality threaded brass pipe (probably using Loctite to immobilize most joints) or of silver soldered brass parts, assuming you have access to the parts, can do a bit of machining, and finally have at least a good propane torch or two.
        Steel allows for rust, and I've been partial to brass since my younger days for various reasons, but here it does a good job so needs no special justification.

Comment

Use a heating manifold, or a pneumatic (just an Ali block with a bunch of threaded holes, plug where needed )
          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
            Use a heating manifold, or a pneumatic (just an Ali block with a bunch of threaded holes, plug where needed )
            Mark
            Yep! Just $8.99 from Princess Auto here.

Comment

Loctite pipe seal would work with the joints barely above fingertight.

Comment

I have made dozens of them. It is not rocket science, just a bunch of fittings screwed together. Tape or sealant to prevent leaks. Mine were usually for large systems where we did not want any restriction on the air flow so I used 3/4" or larger fittings and valves.

But you can buy manifolds from various sources and that may be the more economical way to go:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#compressed...folds/=1d43re3

https://www.grainger.com/category/ai...old&sst=subset

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._odkw=manifold

I have a compressor that is partially installed in my shop. I do not plan on any central manifold but will have cutoff valves at the various outlet stations. So, in effect, the overall system will be a manifold. I see a manifold as being useful in a larger system where it may be desirable to cut off different zones to minimize leakage.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                X