No announcement yet.

Do screwdrivers come shaped like forks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do screwdrivers come shaped like forks?

I have an adjustment nut on the sears table saw fence that is in a recess. It has two screwdriver slots on the face of the nut opposing each other with the bolt passing through them.
    Sort of like trying to turn a crown nut from the end with two screwdrivers.

I have tried two screwdrivers, one in each slot but too much flex and the nut is rusted.

Do they make such a tool or do I have to build one?

I could use a pipe and mill the end to leave two blades and heat treat.

One more project that I don't have time for.

There is such a thing, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen and used them but can't for the life of me remember the name!

Like this, right:

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/win...1961-1964.html
    Last edited by alanganes; 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Use a Dremel type cutoff wheel to cut a slot in the middle, use an impact screw driver, and replace it with a normal screw.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I came across one of these may years ago. I modified a standard screwdriver blade by filing a slot into it, leaving 2 prongs like Dracula's teeth. Screwdriver blades seem to be tough, but fileable, at least the one I chose was.
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I've only seen those tools shaped like a pipe with horns on the end.

I've made several but have never hardened one in order to use it. They were generally single use tools.

Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Your a Home Shop Machinist, I bet you can figure it out. Making a new tool is part of the fun, Post a photo of your results.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

If its two pins, they come in security driver sets. I have a couple around the shop. If its two blades as I got the impression I have never seen one.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

blades not pins
                Alanganes hit on the head.
                Now to find the right sized one.

Comment

I made a similar tool from a socket wrench. I milled it with carbide and it was tough to cut. I should have roughed out the shape with a cutoff wheel in a grinder. It would have saved a lot of time at the mill.
                  Last edited by Illinoyance; 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The more I think on it, I think I will sacrifice a nut driver.
                    Mill the business end to the right shape.
                    I may need the depth as the male thread may protrude too far for a modified screwdriver.

Yes a deep socket will do the trick.
                    One more custom tool to put in the custom tool drawer that will never be used again.
                    Last edited by 1-800miner; 06-04-2018, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Bezel Nut Wrench

A search brings up variations. Here is one style:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/produc...868-51195.html

And another

http://dennis-carpenter.com/dash-bez...tool/p/TL-200/

Comment

Ya mean like this one ???

I had to make this one to remove the screws on the bottom of a drip coffee maker.

JL...............

Comment

If its the style of nut that Alan linked to, then the wrench is a common photographer's tool. Google "lens spanner wrench". You'll see dozens of varieties.
                          Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

I would just get a garden weeding tool and mod it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              Ya mean like this one ???

I had to make this one to remove the screws on the bottom of a drip coffee maker.

JL...............
                              I bought a big cheap ($5) screwdriver to modify exactly like that to fit the nuts that secures the hand wheels to the shafts on my 9" SB lathe's cross slide and compound slide. Easy peasy.

Comment

Working...
                              X