X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by Baz View Post
    Why destroy a screwdriver. A piece of silver steel/drill rod drilled for the clearance hole, then file end to leave the two 'blades' which only normally need to be about 20-30 thou so hardly any work. Chances are the next time you need that size rod it won't matter that it has a hole in the end anyway - no real loss of material except you might as well make an better shaped extended nut to replace the one removed.
    Because Craftsman are life time guarantee. I could always return it saying it was defective .......
    The dopes at the counter wouldn't know any better ! Ha, Ha......

JL...............

Leave a comment:

replied
    I used one for many years, but I never golfed..

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    I'm not a golfer, but I think I once saw such an item made for golfers. It was just a flat piece of steel with a hole in one end the size of a golf ball for cleaning off mud (I think), and two flat prongs on the other end for tightening cleats on shoes.

Such a thing might be adapted.

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    Why destroy a screwdriver. A piece of silver steel/drill rod drilled for the clearance hole, then file end to leave the two 'blades' which only normally need to be about 20-30 thou so hardly any work. Chances are the next time you need that size rod it won't matter that it has a hole in the end anyway - no real loss of material except you might as well make an better shaped extended nut to replace the one removed.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That will work, but it is not the best way to make one. I pick up inexpensive sockets in those isle bins in the hardware stores. You know, the ones with the cheap tools that you would never use. Then I use the Dremel to modify them to produce two pins on the end of the socket. I only remove about 1/32" or so of the original socket. You can also use a file to do this; actually I finish it up with the file for nice square pins.

A 1/4" socket, converted to a driver like this, will work well on a 1/4" square driver. And the socket is a lot stronger than those prongs on a regular screwdriver.

I keep a bin of various cheap tools from these hardware store isle bins for conversion to lots of shop made tools. Wal-Mart also sells cheap tools that are fodder for these projects.

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    Ya mean like this one ???

I had to make this one to remove the screws on the bottom of a drip coffee maker.

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

I had to make this one to remove the screws on the bottom of a drip coffee maker.

JL...............
    I bought a big cheap ($5) screwdriver to modify exactly like that to fit the nuts that secures the hand wheels to the shafts on my 9" SB lathe's cross slide and compound slide. Easy peasy.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I would just get a garden weeding tool and mod it.

Leave a comment:

• KJ1I
    replied
    If its the style of nut that Alan linked to, then the wrench is a common photographer's tool. Google "lens spanner wrench". You'll see dozens of varieties.

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied

JL...............

Leave a comment:

• EddyCurr
    replied
    Bezel Nut Wrench

A search brings up variations. Here is one style:

Buy part #928-1 TOOL, WIPER PIVOT BEZEL NUT for your classic vehicle from National Parts Depot. Free shipping on orders over $300, fast delivery & everyday low pricing! Order now!

And another

Leave a comment:

• 1-800miner
    replied
    The more I think on it, I think I will sacrifice a nut driver.
    Mill the business end to the right shape.
    I may need the depth as the male thread may protrude too far for a modified screwdriver.

Yes a deep socket will do the trick.
    One more custom tool to put in the custom tool drawer that will never be used again.
    Last edited by 1-800miner; 06-04-2018, 10:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Illinoyance
    replied
    I made a similar tool from a socket wrench. I milled it with carbide and it was tough to cut. I should have roughed out the shape with a cutoff wheel in a grinder. It would have saved a lot of time at the mill.
    Last edited by Illinoyance; 06-05-2018, 12:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1-800miner
    replied
    blades not pins
    Alanganes hit on the head.
    Now to find the right sized one.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    If its two pins, they come in security driver sets. I have a couple around the shop. If its two blades as I got the impression I have never seen one.

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Your a Home Shop Machinist, I bet you can figure it out. Making a new tool is part of the fun, Post a photo of your results.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X