anyone heard of a "turners cube" ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone heard of a "turners cube" ??

Saw a picture of a completely useless but intriguing "gizmo" on a website somewhere. It was called a turners cube and was basically three cubes, one inside the other with holes bored on all six faces of each...presumably this is done with some cunning adjustments in the tool length of a boring bar....anyone seen/heard of/know how to do this?? Thanks!
    Chris

Here's a link to a site selling a book that has the instructions:
    http://www.lautard.com/t3.htm

It's the 24th item up from the bottom of the list of contents.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Yup -- I made one last year, per Lautard's instructions, out of walnut. His idea for the faceplate jig is good, and it works. You DO need to be sure to orient the cube in the jig the same way each time, i.e. each time you put a particular face "out" to work on, be sure the cube is put in the jig with the same faces on the same reference surfaces. In theory, if your cube is a perfect cube and the jig perfectly centers the cube, that wouldn't matter...but orient the cube the same way each time and it won't matter, even if things aren't perfect.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I made several about a year ago per Lautard's instructions. I used the 4-jaw chuck in making mine and made sure that the "buttons" each had a tiny center so that I could accurately align/fit the workpiece in the chuck as I went along. I made mine out of CRS and took one into work to show the guys. Most of the guys know what lathes are but couldn't understand how a lathe could produce cubes within cubes.

Comment

Okay, I think I understand what's going on here... and it sounds interesting. Anyone have a photo of one, so I can see if it's what I think it is?

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Here's the link to the pic that originally "caught my eye" Doc.....thanks for all the suggestions by the way but instead of buying the book I think I might "wing it"....

Chris

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/abe...ers%20cube.jpg

Comment

how on god's green earth does someone do that in a lathe? or any other machine, for that matter. apart from a welder.

Comment

Think about thin undercutting boring tools -- like you might use to cut a really deep snap-ring groove.

That's not the whole story though; you also need a way to repeatedly locate the cube with each of its 6 faces "out" in turn, and some plugs to hold the inner cube(s) in place when you make the final cut(s) to free it/them.

I think it may take longer to make the tools and various holding fixtures and bits than it does to actually make the cube. Once you have the setup, making the cube is tedious but not particularly difficult.

If you're interested in doing it, get Lautard's book, mentioned above. He gives very good instructions.
                ----------
                There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Some people have entirely too much time on their hands.

I sure wish I did.

Lets see, you probably start with a cube of metal and drill three holes through the centers of the faces. Now you will need to properly center it on the lathe each time you rotate it to another face so a centered stud would be called for. Perhape it could be an expanding "collet" to grip the inside of the holes. Now you need some special boring bars to do the flat surface of the innermost cube and the spherical? inside of the second one. And you need to do it on all six faces.

When the first cube is done and cut loose, drill again on all six faces to make larger holes for the second cube. And a larger expanding collet. etc.

Sounds like that should do it but I probably left something out.

Lets see some pictures when someone makes one. Wish it were me. But.....

Paul A.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

That's sort of the idea, but you drill all the holes first...at least, I did. They're flat-bottomed. And you make tight-fitting plugs to fit the stepped holes, so when the plugs are installed (on all except the outward-facing surface) they hold the cube(s) in place.
                    ----------

Comment

Working...
                    X