No announcement yet.

Belt Grinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 50x1020mm belt grinder, it's homemade and has been one of my more useful tools but I am getting ready to replace it with a 2x72 grinder in the future. I also have plans for a 6x48" belt sander for wood. But I am getting a lot of mileage out of this smaller model for now, and I got my first bench grinder recently, I want to use it mainly for grinding HSS tool bits and TIG sharpening.

Comment

The general consensus is to get variable speed, use a VFD. Be aware that as speed goes down (or up) available horsepower goes down. To build my 2x72 I used a 3hp motor. I have never been able to detectibly slow it down. And be careful - you can light your shoes on fire.

metalmagpie

Comment

Don't forget a great variable speed grinder can be made from an old treadmill. I made mine with a 2hp treadmill motor and my total cost was was under 200 bucks. It has plenty of power and speed variability.

Randy
        Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by randyjaco View Post
          Don't forget a great variable speed grinder can be made from an old treadmill. I made mine with a 2hp treadmill motor and my total cost was was under 200 bucks. It has plenty of power and speed variability.

Randy
          One of the things that got me back on track with this was moving a treadmill to my junk for projects area out behind the shop. I am hoping the motor is good.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

About 5 years ago someone gave me a Sears 1"X42" belt sander that's motor had died. I was in the process of adapting a small 1/3 Hp motor I had to it when I got the idea of using one of the treadmill motors I had. it has worked great and I really like the variable speed feature. At the time I got it running I bought couple dozen sanding belts for it from Enco. I still have about have of them and have never had one fail.
            Last edited by lugnut; 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

I just checked and Amazon sells 1"x30" sanding belts in about any grit you could want and even have a leather stropping belt.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

making a belt sander using a treadmill motor is still on my list. A little higher than it was, but still not at the top I'll probably go with a 2x48 due to space constraints, but if I can I'll add a disk too as I have some very nice 10" diamond coated disks that would do nicely for carbide sharpening. Still mull over plans in my head every now and then. I have a nice looking 2.25hp (treadmill duty, so ~1.5hp real life) motor plus a couple of control boards I could use.

Comment

Working...
                X