Recently finished project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recently finished project

These are the remote reservoirs for my clutch/brake cylinders. These are stainless with aluminum caps. They replace the aluminum ones that I used.
    Eventually, I'll make the caps out of stainless too. Just ran out of time for now.

Beautiful work!

Comment

Originally posted by DancingBear View Post
      Beautiful work!
      Thank you!

Comment

Those look great! Would you care to share some details on your method of taking those cylinders from a lathe turned finish to that high polish? Also, what material, one of the 300-series stainless?

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
          Those look great! Would you care to share some details on your method of taking those cylinders from a lathe turned finish to that high polish? Also, what material, one of the 300-series stainless?
          Sure. The tubes are 1.50 dia. 304 Stn Stl. The top and bottom caps are 303 Stn Stl. They are silver soldered together. The mounting bands are 303, wire EDM'd per my CAD file. Once everything was polished, the tubes were slipped in the upper and lower bands. I made a simple fixture to space them properly, and a small spot of TIG weld on the back side was done. Polished that up and Bob's your uncle.

Sid

Comment

Those are pretty. What are they used on?
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
              Those are pretty. What are they used on?
              My hot rod.

Sid

Comment

Nice work as always Sid.

Comment

Beautiful!

Off the shelf diaphragms?
                  I want to make reservoirs for a bike but I'm stuck with an extensive and exhausting search for correct size diaphragms.
                  Got a source?
                  Len

Comment

I peeked. Nice car. Did you ever solve the jumpy throttle? BTDT with a Hilborn setup in the '70s. made stack extensions with a second butterfly. Top and bottom linked progressively. Made it more manageable, but never was great. The linkage was a pita. Looked awesome though.
                    Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                    My hot rod.

Sid
                    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                      Beautiful!

Off the shelf diaphragms?
                      I want to make reservoirs for a bike but I'm stuck with an extensive and exhausting search for correct size diaphragms.
                      Got a source?
                      Call Kugal komponets. They might sell just the diaphragms. I used the ones oh of the piece I’m replacing from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                        I peeked. Nice car. Did you ever solve the jumpy throttle? BTDT with a Hilborn setup in the '70s. made stack extensions with a second butterfly. Top and bottom linked progressively. Made it more manageable, but never was great. The linkage was a pita. Looked awesome though.
                        Yes, I got it working pretty well now. No fun driving a car that doesn’t behave well on the street.

Comment

Very nice work. Love the polish!! JR

Comment

They are beautiful Sid, very nice work indeed. Polished aluminum and stainless always exhibit a luster that makes chrome look shabby and tacky in comparison.
                            I was just wondering if you might run into a galling or binding issue if you decide to use stainless for the caps as well?
                            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Very very nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X