OT string trimmer gas leak story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT string trimmer gas leak story

Several yeas ago I got a 4 cycle string trimmer. Not having to fool with mixing gas is a treat, and the thing has power to spare. But,,, There always has to be a "But", the fuel lines are not connected to anything where they enter the tank. They are simply a snug fit in the holes, and they leak like crazy. I've learned to keep the machine relatively level all the time, which pretty much keeps the leaking at bay, but it's a pita. Over the years I've thought about cobbling up some brass fittings, but that seems like a lot of sugar for a dime, so never went ahead with it.
    Last Monday, the wife "suggests" a tour of the cemeteries where family are planted, to clean headstones and trim around them. She also suggests Wednesday if I have no objections. Being married to this girl for a few months short of 57 years, I've learned that objections are pretty much wasted energy, so I begin planning the adventure. The first tool that comes to mind is the string trimmer, but hauling it and it's leaky gas tank around the country side, in the back of the Odyssey, is neither safe nor convenient. Also, the gas fumes from the leaky tank will probably further damage my already feeble brain. What I needed was a relatively quick fix that wasn't a lot of work. Digging through my accumulation of prospective products to use, I came across a tube of Permatex Ultra Black Maximum oil resistance RTV gasket sealer that I had used on the rear axle housing of my ElCamino several years ago. I figured the stuff was probably set up in the tube, but to my surprise, after drilling through the plug in the neck, it came squirting out just fine. I cleaned the fuel lines and the area around the openings in the tank with lacquer thinner, and pushed the tubes back in about a half inch from where they would stop. Then the RTV was smeared on the tubes before seating them in permanent position. Another dab was smeared around each tube, and the machine was left to cure overnight. Next day, Voila! No more leaks. I wish I had thought of this a couple of years ago. I hope this helps someone who may have a similar problem. Also, sorry for the long post. You were warned in the title that this was a story.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I was hoping for more of a combo whacker-flamethrower. Possibly with a flaming cutting wire.

As a lad I was always told Seal All was the stuff to seal up plastic gas tank leaks, etc. And it sure did work for us. Countless folks operated small outboard motors with patched gas tanks on top, while nearly straddling those tanks.

Not sure how that stuff would compare - short or long term - to what you used.

Comment

[QUOTE=Glug;1180051]I was hoping for more of a combo whacker-flamethrower. Possibly with a flaming cutting wire.
      A few years ago that would have been right up my alley

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

...the wife "suggests" a tour of the cemeteries where family are planted, to clean headstones and trim around them...
        Originally posted by Glug View Post
        I was hoping for more of a combo whacker-flamethrower.
        Relatives of the "residents" of the cemeteries might take a dim view... unless the residents were cremated already.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

A little metal ferrule inside the tube where it crosses the tank should help with tight
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
            A little metal ferrule inside the tube where it crosses the tank should help with tight
            I tried that but the brass tube I used was left over from my RC modeling days and it was too soft. It was hard to push the line into the tank and then the tank swaged the tube enough that it was as loose as before. It may have worked with harder brass.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I just bought a cordless electric one. No leaks

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                I just bought a cordless electric one. No leaks
                I got one last summer. I love it, no gas, no smell, low noise, and has enough battery to get the job done and then pop the battery into the blower and clear off the walkways.

Comment

I'll be going electric when the gas trimmer craps out.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                  X