No announcement yet.

Small mill project (SMP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks! Funny - This is a hobby. As dad always says - 'some people have boats'...

Originally posted by boslab View Post
    Hell of a job, reminded me of being in work for some reason, everything was a performance, card do this till that’s done, can’t do that till somthing else arrives, ad nausium.
    Well done is all I can say.
    Mark
    Last edited by skunkworks; 07-11-2018, 10:18 AM. Reason: forgot the thanks...

Comment

Skunkworks-
      Forget the mini-mill; let's see your HBMs.
      I have a G&L 25T myself.

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Heh - this it our pride and joy.. First NC dad dragged out of the junk yard in the mid 80's.. It is my go-to machine. delivered to a local manf in 69'

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        Skunkworks-
        Forget the mini-mill; let's see your HBMs.
        I have a G&L 25T myself.

--Doozer

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
          Thanks! Funny - This is a hobby. As dad always says - 'some people have boats'...
          Dang Sam, thats a hell of a hobby shop you got there.

Comment

I have access to some pretty nice old machines (I did put my time in hooking them up and converting them...). The K&T milwaukeematic IIIb is an amazing machine. Huge zero backlash ball nuts. Roller bearing ways... It was made solid. I am spoiled by it. We also have an 80's vintage matsurra - it is nice (6k spindle and such) but it isn't the K&T.

sam

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
              I have access to some pretty nice old machines (I did put my time in hooking them up and converting them...). The K&T milwaukeematic IIIb is an amazing machine. Huge zero backlash ball nuts. Roller bearing ways... It was made solid. I am spoiled by it. We also have an 80's vintage matsurra - it is nice (6k spindle and such) but it isn't the K&T.

sam
              Sam uses Linuxcnc for his machines, he didn't mention it so I did. This gives a good idea of what Linuxcnc is capable of, a lot of the other cnc software just wouldn't be up to those sort of machines.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                Sam uses Linuxcnc for his machines, he didn't mention it so I did. This gives a good idea of what Linuxcnc is capable of, a lot of the other cnc software just wouldn't be up to those sort of machines.
                Oh no's.. You said the L word!

Comment

as always - life gets in the way... But 3 sides square... Getting there. (just going to eek it out..)

Comment

did I say slow... Finally to the point of machining into the shape I need... (squared on 7 sides)

Comment

Some rough machining...

Comment

That machine does some serious metal removal Sam. Chips have to be everywhere with no enclosure.

Comment

Yes - it requires some strategic placement of chip deflectors...

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                          That machine does some serious metal removal Sam. Chips have to be everywhere with no enclosure.

Comment

Other side roughed..

Comment

Some progress... I think I am going to make the over-all riser 5 inches.. (I can always make it shorter...) The column side is done. It fit together perfectly.. Very happy.

Table rotation for finishing up the angles..

finished end..

Like a glove... (back)

Comment

Front..

Line-up grove...

Top support

Whole thing...

Comment

Working...
                                X