No announcement yet.

Small mill project (SMP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some random videos of making the way extension...

Comment

The reason why I added the 5" Z spacer...

Comment

What, you want the endmills to actually clear the table?!
        Next you'll be wanting enough clearance to put something on the table and clear THAT!

Comment

Yah.. the 5 inch riser is going to work just fine..

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
          What, you want the endmills to actually clear the table?!
          Next you'll be wanting enough clearance to put something on the table and clear THAT!

Comment

I think the way cover for the back side of the y axis is going to metal. Front I don't know yet. Maybe simple rubber/neoprene...

Sam

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                I tried something similar once, the problem I ran into was chips collecting in the valley and getting compacted when the table moved back. Enough chips and the cover gets bent up or maybe the stepper misses steps in your case. Maybe you can attach it higher up on the table to prevent that? Way covers are a real PITA !

Comment

I put a trough at the bottom.. my cheap and dirty thought is to mount a brush on the table (x axis) that reaches down into the trough. As the x axis moves - it would sweep the shavings out each end..

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                  I tried something similar once, the problem I ran into was chips collecting in the valley and getting compacted when the table moved back. Enough chips and the cover gets bent up or maybe the stepper misses steps in your case. Maybe you can attach it higher up on the table to prevent that? Way covers are a real PITA !

Comment

Time will tell if it works....

sam

Comment

You'll poke your eye out!!
                      Len

Comment

Comment

I don't know how I keep cranking out such great videos..

Last edited by skunkworks; 10-04-2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Enjoyed reading the whole thread. Very inspiring.
                            Just a question, why mill the z axis riser with a pyramid shape at the top?
                            Was there something in the riser that had to be milled away?
                            Projects like yours are the reason im getting started in this hobby or should i call it an affliction?

Comment

I wanted it to fit up inside the z column. Good or bad for some extra support.

Originally posted by Wildcatfan View Post
                              Enjoyed reading the whole thread. Very inspiring.
                              Just a question, why mill the z axis riser with a pyramid shape at the top?
                              Was there something in the riser that had to be milled away?
                              Projects like yours are the reason im getting started in this hobby or should i call it an affliction?

Comment

Understood fitting within the column recess above.
                                I should have worded it differently i guess.
                                I was thinking less machining if the "male" part of the riser block was more "square" with radiused corners to fit inside the column and poossibly add more surface area for contact/ bolting.

Comment

Working...
                                X