No announcement yet.

Small mill project (SMP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very neat, though I imagine you'll be using slightly shorter bolts in the finished version? As for the 3 sensors, am I right in guessing that they're positioned to detect different edges of a tooth at the same time to give both speed and direction? I remember reading that somewhere, I think Jim Dawson on his CNC mill over on HM.

Comment

• Yes - the 2 outside sensors are positioned to detect the tooth at 0 and 90 deg respectively (quadrature)... That gives you direction of rotation. The 3rd sensor (center one) is the index. Gives an absolute position of the spindle rotation. (threading or indexing the spindle) And yes - I need to shorten the bolts.. and also balance the whole assembly.

Here is a shot of what the signals look like from the 2 sensors (the wave forms are overlapped..)

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
      Very neat, though I imagine you'll be using slightly shorter bolts in the finished version? As for the 3 sensors, am I right in guessing that they're positioned to detect different edges of a tooth at the same time to give both speed and direction? I remember reading that somewhere, I think Jim Dawson on his CNC mill over on HM.

Comment

• very cool, thanks for the clarification!

Comment

• A really high production quality video..... <sarcasm> Rigid tapping

Comment

• The gear tooth sensors seem to work up to 10k rpm no problem. Yay

sam

Comment

• Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
              The gear tooth sensors seem to work up to 10k rpm no problem. Yay

sam
              Is that all?! Well, I was thinking that syncro-tapping was nearly as fast as on my manual mill!
              Looks like it works well.... you sure you can spare that many fractions of a second per hole though?!

Comment

• That was 2k rpm.. (at 20tpi - that is 100ipm...)

Comment

• I think I manage a blistering 50rpm (note lack of 'k') with my unsynchronised wing-and-a-prayer rigid tapping. Think you'd probably have finished ALL the holes before I'd finished one.

It's been interesting to follow how it should be done....as opposed to my bodge. I've got a Sieg SX2 and I replaced the tilting column with a rigid column that has longer Y travel. It really needed what you did earlier in this thread but I got away with having the table surface ground once we could create a reference plane. It's far from what you've managed there but it at least means that stuff doesn't come out drunk-looking!

Comment

• I think all I need is a 5 and 2v power supplies... (Hopefully all in 1). Time to look on eBay.

Comment

• Just the rigid tapping for those that don't like long videos...

Comment

• Side tracked..

Comment

• some more playing..

Comment

• Sounds like it should be useful. Absolute worst it should mean that feed stops if the tool jams....and doesn't just snap, of course. Given the right setpoint, it ought to make it less likely to snap too, I'd have thought.

Comment

• Ummm. Darn.

Comment

• I hate when that happens,you just get to thinking that you have it on the run and then something that's a PITA to fix pops up.
                                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                                X