Help With Project.... Stainless Steel Diesel Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Project.... Stainless Steel Diesel Stack

I'm trying to find a few short pieces of 6" or 8" dia. stainless diesel exhaust stack. I don't need an long lengths.... 3 inch drops or longer would do.
    I can't find a supplier for this stuff but have seen it around. I don't want chrome plated stuff.
    Anyone have any sources or short pieces ??

JL................

I’d get some rolled on a pyramid or slip roll, call it what you will, I did some with a lock formed edge once, though it was thin stuff, ( it was for an exhaust company, basal I think, or ti Bradbury)thicker could be welded and electro polished perhaps.
    mark

Comment

Look for a local semi truck service shop; someone who does exhaust work on them.

You're most likely to find 4" or 5" pipe on these trucks, although some aftermarket exhausts might use larger pipe.

Comment

Joe
        What you are describing sounds like a lost wax flask ?
        Try here- Page 10
        http://www.conleycasting.com/CCLostWaxCatalog.pdf

No affiliation
        Rich

Comment

You won't find too many guys running 6"-8" stainless stacks, most large trucks use chrome plated steel pipe. You might find 6" SS tubing at some of the diesel pickup shops though.
          Is there a fab shop or metal supplier in your area that caters to an industrial process that uses large diameter stainless tubing. I'm thinking food processors, petrochemical, pulp mills etc.
          You could also fab up your own tubing from sheet if you have that capability. Old stainless cookware might be a source if you don't mind cutting the tops and bottoms off.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Wall thickness not specified....maybe a used restaurant equipment company? The round SS containers that are used in salad bars to hold the dressing? Or you might find something else even better suited.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
              You won't find too many guys running 6"-8" stainless stacks, most large trucks use chrome plated steel pipe. You might find 6" SS tubing at some of the diesel pickup shops though.
              most semi truck exhaust pipe these days is stainless, but like I said above, 4"-5" is much more common.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                most semi truck exhaust pipe these days is stainless, but like I said above, 4"-5" is much more common.
                Yes I agree, due to DEF injection systems and diesel particulate after-treatment regimes you will find a lot of SS in new systems. But very little in 6" and none at all in 8"
                Those components are ridiculously expensive and not much is scrapped. Most easily sourced truck exhaust components are either chromed steel or aluminized steel pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                  Wall thickness not specified....maybe a used restaurant equipment company? The round SS containers that are used in salad bars to hold the dressing? Or you might find something else even better suited.
                  I didn't specify because wall thickness isn't real important. Any thickness that exhaust stack is would do. .032 .062 etc.
                  It's generally not heavier than 16 ga.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                    I'm trying to find a few short pieces of 6" or 8" dia. stainless diesel exhaust stack.
                    I can't find a supplier for this stuff but have seen it around. I don't want chrome plated stuff.
                    Anyone have any sources or short pieces ??
                    JL................
                    You are not going to like the price but.......https://www.discountsteel.com/items/...ize_no=69#skus

Steve

Comment

Another source for stainless around that size is modern sport bike exhausts. Usually the cans that come stock are large, heavy and very quickly jettisoned. Not sure of the size exactly, but the outer shell can be around 6", maybe bigger depending on the bike. Not sure what you need it for, but you might be able to get one for very cheap or free. If you were closer I could probably find you a couple. Maybe stop by or call a few dealers, and see what they have. Stock exhaust are pretty useless to most people.

Comment

What about looking in marine engine supplies, or firms that work on them?

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                          Is there a fab shop or metal supplier in your area that caters to an industrial process that uses large diameter stainless tubing. I'm thinking food processors, petrochemical, pulp mills etc.
                          You could also fab up your own tubing from sheet if you have that capability. Old stainless cookware might be a source if you don't mind cutting the tops and bottoms off.
                          I' seen some pick up trucks going down the road with 6" dual stacks.

JL...............

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo View Post
                            You are not going to like the price but.......https://www.discountsteel.com/items/...ize_no=69#skus

Steve
                            I'm surprised at those prices coming from Discount Steel and their sub-prime stuff.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              I' seen some pick up trucks going down the road with 6" dual stacks.

JL...............
                              As I stated...." You won't find too many guys running 6"-8" stainless stacks, most large trucks use chrome plated steel pipe. You might find 6" SS tubing at some of the diesel pickup shops though."

The guys in pickups are overcompensating and need large stacks more so than real trucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X