mig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig

so here is the deal, I am looking into a mig machine, I only have access to 115v, and in general I dont weld "big" stuff so I was looking around and in generl people seemed to like the lincoln sp135 plus but, I found one that is "similar" and reconditioned, not to mention nearly 200 $ less here: http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p002054.htm

so what do you guys think?

Looks like a good price. Too bad no 220v. I have used 110v machines and they just don't have the burnin power for anything more than 1/8 inch. But you do what works, right? JR

http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...t_Code=U1474-2
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Check out the duty cycle. That is a percentage of how long you can weld in a 10 minute time period. I would avoid a 20% machine unless it would see very limited use.

Comment

Couple of years ago, I bought a Millermatic 135, 115V and it's turned out to be the best welding equipment purchase I ever made. I've welded from 20 guage to 1/4" steel wth no problems....thicker requires multiple passes.

I think the machine has tripped out twice on the duty cycle in over 100 hrs of use.

The Lincoln is probably comparable and should work great for you. Infinite variable heat and wire feed settings are very nice if available on the Lincoln.

Nice thing about the 115V is you can use it practically anywhere. My 2 cents....

Comment

The little 110 v mig machines can be used much more effectively if you toss the flux core wire. Use smaller wire, and get a gas coverage set up.

rollin'

Comment

Miller-Lincoln will stay with you. Good products for the home shop.

My lincoln came with a 5 year warranty. I like it pretty well. I use gas. I have both tri-mix and argon bottles.

My lincoln has not gave me a moments trouble since 1991.. It has been used a lot.

One thing, a mig has it's limit and there is a time when you have to break out a stick welder.

I welded a trailer up then took a hammer and broke several of the good looking welds. Penetration should be to the point of metal all flowing together, not just a pretty lookin bead on the surface. I mentioned this before and got suggested to take some welding courses. I did pass a nuclear weld test with stick. For important welds I suggest stick or tig, for sheetmetal and light connections mig is as good as anything else.

I guess you need a claw hammer when you want to do carpenter work and a ball peen when you want to do machinist work. Same deal there.

------------------
            David Cofer, Of:
            Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

I'd suggest spending a few bucks more for a Lincoln 135. I've had one for 5 yrs and used the dikkens out of it (w/hard wire and gas) and never had a problem. I just gave it to my son and bought a new one. Like David say's I do have a stick/tig machine for heavier work. I've used some of the cheaper 110V machines and for the most part they are crap.
              Russ
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

thanks guys, the trouble started when someone loaned a lincoln 100hd which is a similar machine to the one above but only comes with a flux core set up, I have used tig, and stick but I had always avoided mig, as it was frowned apon in a fab shop that I worked in. I would prefer tig but its just out of my range. but if I am careful with the this smaller machine I get alright penetration. I just thought I would see what you guys thought of those two machines. thanks again.

Samuel

Comment

Frankly I suspect one would find either the Lincoln or Miller totally satisfactory. But, having said that, I will also say that just yesterday I was in a welding supply place that had carried the Lincoln line a year or so ago, and now carries Miller. After talking with the salesman awhile, he left little doubt that he felt the Lincoln was the better machine. I'm referring to the small wirefeeds and low end stick welders. He was more non-commital so far as the bigger, professional type machines are concerned.
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

If you are good at surplus shopping, you can get a lot of bang for the buck. I use a 24 volt battery charger to power a Miller and a Lincoln wire feeder.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/t...t=DSC00278.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X