New mill acquisition is dead.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mill acquisition is dead.

Tariff's start tonight but machine tool folks got antsy, ran the price out of my range what with shipping.

At least I got my initial purchase money back.
    Looking used now, NO sin at all but ...you know how it is.
    Len

It's funny how we are worried about the new tariffs, yet the Canada, England, much of the EU and China have charged import duties for decades. A recent Canadian member of HSM bought machinery here in the US and brought it home. He paid several hundred in duties at the border. Every one of my ebay sales to someone in China has at some point been accompanied by a request to label it as a "gift" on the customs form to evade duties at the China border/customs.

So sorry that you won't get the one that you were hoping to get.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

what crap. hope you find a good used one.
      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Here is to finding a sweeter deal used.

Comment

There are a handful of Bridgeports out by me up on Craigslist right now for $2k to $2.5k. Living in CT, I would think finding a decent, used Bridgeport won't be too hard. Good luck!

Comment

When I look on eBay, there are always tons of nice used machines in the New England area. New York, Rhode Island, New Jersey, etc. Should be a good deal in there somewhere.
            Kansas City area

Comment

Run an ad in the local paper, Wanted old Milling Machine.. get a Barn Fresh one from an old guy with tooling..
              For reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                It's funny how we are worried about the new tariffs, yet the Canada, England, much of the EU and China have charged import duties for decades. A recent Canadian member of HSM bought machinery here in the US and brought it home. He paid several hundred in duties at the border.
                What matters is country of origin not the path it took. He might have paid duty if it wasn't made in the US, but there is no duty on a US made machine coming into Canada. What he most certainly would have paid is HST (sales tax); that is not a duty as its 100% the same as whats in sales tax if it was made and sold here. Its an important clarification given the current shenanigans; there is no duty on stuff from the US (country of origin), at least not yet
                in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

In addition to the above, or if it was imported and sold here, tax is paid by the purchaser at time of picking it up or bring it in..

So yes we don't pay duty on most stuff, but 25 to 34 percent on the exchange.. brings 100 but to about say 132, depends on the day.. then 132.00 x 12 percent at the border.

Comment

Len,

From what I understand of Connecticut and the surrounding area you shouldn't have any problem finding a decent used machine in your price range. Certainly a much better chance than we have in Alaska. Good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

I likes dis a lot.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mill...th-DRO/SB1027F

Comment

Have you looked at these guys offerings?

http://www.machineryvalues.com/xresults.cfm/MTID/NEWML
                        Last edited by wierdscience; 07-06-2018, 12:02 AM.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Got a couple of used machines to look at locally next week.
                          I don't travel well yet just 4 weeks into rehab so I look close by.

Most local stuff you see on CL are either empty husks or putty & paint "restorations".
                          Len

Comment

One thing that I have noticed about Grizzly and taken advantage of several times is they have a tendency to introduce new models at a good price. They probably want to be able to talk about how many they have sold. Then, when it becomes an established part of their line, the price goes up by a significant amount.

I have purchased a number of items from them when they were first introduced: mill, router, track saw, bench grinder, and now a US cleaner. Watch their web site and let them have your e-mail so you get the promotional e-mails. Something will come along.

I have no relationship with Grizzly other than satisfied customer.

Another consideration: the MAN is a negotiator. He is ne-go-ti-a-ting now. And he is a millionaire several times over: HE IS NOT STUPID. Just be patient: wait and see how this comes out.
                            Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 07-06-2018, 02:45 AM.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Connecticut is the EPICENTER of great deals on used Bridgeports. I shopped for my bridgy a long time before eventually buying one. And I found over and over, the closer you looked towards Bridgeport CT (where the original factory was), the more plentiful the great deals were. The only reason I didn't end up buying one from that location was because the shipping charges would've been over the top due to the distance. You can get a much better used US built machine vs China built in your area for the price of a new grizzly (pre-tariff). I know because I carefully considered that option as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X