• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differant use for cherry picker

Sometime back a very innovative gentleman added some
    2 x 4's to his cherry picker to lift sheets of plywood up to his
    ceiling.
    I have done several searches and can not find it. Would any
    of you remember this or perhaps have saved the link?
    Thanks for any help!
    olf20 / Bob

Check out this Video shows one fellows adaption.
    Harold

Comment

What too much BS, too wobbly as well. VPT's adaptation seems much better.

Comment

Comment

Something very similar 3 phase, but the 2x's held the
          sheets.
          Thanks guys
          olf20 / Bob

Comment

I can remember as a young guy drywalling a house I ripped apart, they didn't have caddies then. You stood on a bakers scaffold and held it to the ceiling with your head. Just misery as you felt the vibration of the drywal screw gun right into you fillings and muscles aching until you got a few screws in.

A buddy of mine who was a contractor came down to help and caught me doing so with a hockey helmet on. I suppose I looked pretty stupid and I thought he was going to hurt himself laughing so hard. Shortly afterward I was asked to procure an extra helmet.

When Opra says motherhood is the most difficult job on planet, she's never drywalled a ceiling with your bare head as the drywall caddy. Miserable bloody way to spend time.

Comment

VPT posted a thread about his use of the cherry picker for drywall. I saw the pictures not that long ago, but they are gone from the thread.

Dan
              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

That's an engine hoist...so why do people insist on calling it a cherry picker? If you think I am being anal retentive, just remember the derision heaped on people selling an item on CL like a mill and listing it as a lathe.

Comment

You can get a drywall hoist from HF for $160 on sale, use it and then list it on craigslist and recover probably 80-100 bucks. It will work better than the hoist and is easier to maneuver. Just not worth my time to fool around adapting a hoist...

If you only need to do one or two sheets, do it by hand:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0UHi62look

or use a friend and a crutch (but it is hard on your head after awhile): https://www.familyhandyman.com/drywa...-pro/view-all/

Edit: 2nd link is just for the picture of the two guys and a crutch. I did not read the article but am skeptical... the image also shows them nailing the ceiling sheets. Definitely use screws for the ceiling, even if you want to use nails for the wall.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                    s. Definitely use screws for the ceiling, even if you want to use nails for the wall.
                    I've done a few houses top to bottom (gutted to the bricks) when young and I could work nonstop and imo if you any amount to do, (say more than one sheet lol) you have to get a drywall screw gun. It is THE tool for the job, I wouldn't put a sheet of board up without one.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                      That's an engine hoist...so why do people insist on calling it a cherry picker? If you think I am being anal retentive, just remember the derision heaped on people selling an item on CL like a mill and listing it as a lathe.
                      I believe you're thinking of a lather machine. Used by a professional latheist to lathe larger latheworks into smaller latheworks, while keeping their latheness concentric.

Comment

Its because with the basket attachment, it's just so handy for picking cherries..

Comment

I thought it was used for picking up a real cherry of an engine and installing that incredible cherry engine in the car.

Comment

I rigged up my hoist to do the drywall on my garage ceiling. It worked great, and I already had a hoist (cherry picker). Not as good as a dedicated drywall lift, but it is better for loading, as you can drop the boom all the way to the ground instead of having to hump a sheet of drywall up on to it. Once you get the sheet raised and in place, you can apply a little pressure so it stays put while you screw it off.

Comment

Yeh, you are right it's a engine hoist. But out here on the farm we call
                              them cherry pickers for some reason.
                              Never thought of HF. I have a whole ceiling to do but can only do
                              a little at a time.
                              Thanks for all the tips, pictures, and info.
                              olf20 / Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X