O.T: What's a cubit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T: What's a cubit?

last night, downpour wrath of God rain for hours. what a meteorologist calls a 1 percent storm, because if you call it a hundred year storm stupid people expect another in exactly one hundred years

walnut creek, the dry wash that runs through the property, is wider than the Rio Grande a quarter mile away. 75 feet of State Route 1, formerly El Camino Real De La Tierra Adestro ( The Royal Road of the interior lands ) is gone, which means my neighbors need to use the post office in the next town, because it went from being a quarter mile away to a 16 mile trip.

a deuce and a half got flipped over and washed into the arroyo.

the irrigation ditch that runs through the property was erased. the big bowl that was the back yard filled up. the archery range was 12 feet deep. now it's a big saucer, 3 feet deep. I can't get to the rifle range, until the sun comes out and bakes the silt dry.

my neighbor is getting his moneys worth out of his drone.
    Last edited by AD5MB; 07-16-2018, 11:39 AM.

Yowza.... That does sound like a rain. Sounds like you did not get flooded, but others may have.

A cubit is supposedly about 18 inches. Works out about right for me, back of elbow to tip of longest finger. So you have two cubits in the archery range. That's a bunch of water. What was the "official rainfall"?

The way weather is now, you might get another "hundred year storm" in a few years, or you might get a 5 year drought. Ours has been crazy enough.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      Yowza.... That does sound like a rain. Sounds like you did not get flooded, but others may have.

A cubit is supposedly about 18 inches. Works out about right for me, back of elbow to tip of longest finger. So you have two cubits in the archery range. That's a bunch of water. What was the "official rainfall"?
      I must have different math. To me, 12 feet would be 8 cubits. Sounds like a lot of water in one place!

Comment

A biblical cubit is the distance from the tip of the middle finger to the elbow---about 17 1/2" on me.
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

the railroad built two berms to divert Walnut Creek from a straight line to the Rio, across their tracks, and made it turn right and parallel the Rio into the flood control channel. that right turn acted as a silt trap. this made an archery range and a rifle range for we. now it's a mud flat.

"What's a cubit" was an old Bill Cosby as Noah talking to God thing.
          Last edited by AD5MB; 07-16-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            I must have different math. To me, 12 feet would be 8 cubits. Sounds like a lot of water in one place!
            He HAD 8 cubits, but now there are 2... 36 inches.

A lotta water quick, but that's Texas.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

God: "Noah...How long can you tread water?"
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I found it amazing that quantum computers were round 2000 years ago, clever lot.
                Jokingly, that’s a hell of a downpour, must be trillions of tons of water up in the sky.
                Mark

Comment

...a trillion simultaneous dinosaur whizzes.

Comment

I’m drinking dinosaur piss, thought there was a funny smell to my tap water, chlorine my ass
                    Mark

Comment

2 more aggravations: city water is off. the well is OK, but the hot water heater is not on the well.

and spadefoot toads. NM is swarming with toads that bury themselves when it dries up, and come out to reproduce in the rain. the cow pastures/rice paddies are jam up full of toad Elvises ( Elvii? ) that croak continuously but will not die.

They just brought in a D7. things are getting serious.

Comment

We got dumped on again yesterday - could have floated my kayak down the street - hardscrabble creek which is normally about a foot wide was about 20ft across last night and took a car or two with it...

I thought a cubit was a small cube --- ok - i'll go get me coat....

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                          2 more aggravations: city water is off. the well is OK, but the hot water heater is not on the well.

and spadefoot toads. NM is swarming with toads that bury themselves when it dries up, and come out to reproduce in the rain. the cow pastures/rice paddies are jam up full of toad Elvises ( Elvii? ) that croak continuously but will not die.

They just brought in a D7. things are getting serious.
                          With a little ingenuity and a water hose, the drain of your hot water heater can become the intake from your well water source.
                          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I just fixed a local bike trail from a multi-rutted out washout we had about two weeks ago - had a friend say "don't fix it or it will happen again" and he was right - took a couple days till the good deed got punished but it did.

Comment

I figured the Noah routine from the title. A friend and I did the routine for a talent show in school some years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bputeFGXEjA

lg

Comment

Working...
                              X