No announcement yet.

OT- David Blane (Blaine?) levitates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"...imagine a string holding your head upright.. My back quits hurting during this.. WHY? .."

David, the reason your back quits hurting is because you're no longer focusing on it (i.e. the back pain). With understanding and sufficient motivation, you can learn to make that a permanent solution. There are even more effective things to focus on for better effect.

Lynn
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

OK Paul. The supposition about angle of view and in the case of the King Rising illusion, special shoes, are correct. The original is the Balducci Illusion where the magician rises on tip toe of one foot. He must ensure the audience has a limited angle of view. The most important part of doing a magic trick is not the trick itself, it is the presentation. Nearly all tricks depend on some degree of misdirection to draw your attention away from the means by which the effect is produced. There are tricks which depend solely on mechanical principals that simply aren't obvious but even then the presentation helps make it work. See the Balducci here:

http://www.levitation.org/balducci-levitation.htm

If you really want to learn more I recommend a book that I have, The Illustrated History of Magic. Books like this used to be closely guarded and not generally available to the public. That has changed and you can buy it at Amazon. When I worked at the magic shop I had access to "secret" books and was able to subscribe to Genie magazine. Also available to anyone today.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Rusty..

I have drawings on one old UL front end. You'd need the forge that sold at the last auction I was at thou to do it right. ALL original is where the money is at.

I saw Springer front ends somewhere for $395.. Pretty well built. I can't build one for that. I have a paugho ($1100) on mine. 21" fender mounts removed and 48 fl 16" front fender. Rockers drilled and tapped for fender mount. Top mount to be fabricated still..

What do you have a mind to make?

Comment

Lynn..

My back would hurt less if I quit abusing it.

I unloaded the 500 pound R-WIlcox chain conveyor drive over the side of my truck. (yes I dented the shop truck)

Normal people don't do silly things like that.

Someday I may graduate to being normal. They have me on anxiety medication now.. HAPPY, staring around.. HAPPY.. gee... lets watch some cartoons.. Ohh look, something shiny..

------------------
          David Cofer, Of:
          Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

I didn't see it, but recently on TV they showed an Indian "guru" type who could levitate himself. He sat, without touching the ground, his arm was outstretched and holding a staff.
            Apparently the staff was fixed in the ground, a bar ran along his outstretched arm (under his sleeve), down his back and was attached to a seat. I guess he didn't weigh much either.

Comment

A Quick Note About David Blaine As mentioned above, David Blaine is not the originator of this illusion. He has made the illusion popular, once again, with his recent television special, "David Blaine: Street Magic." The unfortunate reality is, however, that we never really get to see Blaine performing the Balducci Levitation. We watch several times as Blaine performs it for others, but we never get to see it for ourselves. For the television special, Blaine performed the Balducci levitation in front of several different groups of people, and the camera was there to catch their reaction. The method he used for this is the Balducci method, described below. While videotaping these various performances, the producers keyed in on the audience members with the most visual reaction. After the Balducci levitation, the producers of the show had these same people stand by for another taping of the illusion - this time the camera would shoot from behind the audience members to get a clear view of Blaine in action. The audience members were told that this second performance was to show them how magicians could use wires to levitate. And this is exactly what happened. A small harness and rig (just out of camera view) was set up and Blaine performed a standard wire-suspension. What Blaine did was a camera trick - known as a post-production edit. The audience at home watched the second (wire suspension) levitation performance, with the audience reaction of the real levitation edited in. It was said, in the television special, that no strings or wires were used to perform Blaine's levitation. This is true, no wires or strings are required. Unfortunately, we never got to see Blaine's real levitation: WE SAW A WIRE-SUSPENSION ! :-(

Comment

My wife levitates every time I come in from the garage with my greasy hands from working on the cars. The trick is easy. I come in all dirty, wash up my face and hands, and wipe my hands and face on the nearest just laid out clean towel or the curtains when towels are not easliy reached.

Gawd, she just hits the ceiling!!!!!!!

Penn and Teller like to show how this is done quite a bit, as does the "Unknown magician" There are several ways this is done, and the ring that people use to 'pass the body through" does have a break in it. Just one of many examples

However, the many ways this is done, probably hundreds of methods used, are a science in themselves in illusion, and physics, and that is what I find soo great about the "levitation tricks". These are not created by "dummies'.

magic is, in the end, many times a study of physics!!!!

[This message has been edited by spope14 (edited 09-02-2004).]
                CCBW, MAH

Comment

In the early 1950's writer John Keel travelled throughout the Middle East, Egypt, India and Tibet looking for native magic and magicians. He later wrote a book about his experiences called Jadoo, where he says that most of the so-called magic he saw, including the famous Indian Rope Trick, was basically a con game intended to separate suckers such as gullible natives and tourists from their cash. However, he claimed to have seen at least one stunt that impressed him as genuine, the one where the Tibetan lama would sit on the ground and then levitate several feet into the air. Keel claimed that the lama stretched his arm out at full length and lightly touched the end of his walking stick, and then just simply rose into the air without visible means of support. If I remember right, Keel asked the lama if he could teach him to do it and his answer was that while anyone could, in theory, learn to do the stunt, it would take a lifetime of study and mental concentration.
                  Mike

Comment

SJorgensen has it right. I've seen how this is done. It's a play on viewing angle and rising up on the ball/toes of one foot. I suspect a special shoe to assist this was also used. The guy would not tell all his tricks! I haven't said anything that others haven't. I've just seen it done.
                    Just thought of this... If one had one leg shorter than the other this trick could look even better. I would have an inch head start with mt left leg! (Car wreck 1985)

James

[This message has been edited by meho (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

Dave. Something like the original Harley or Indian springers from the 40s. Not the forged ones. Although those would be really cool.

Comment

My nephew figured out how to do the levitation trick quickly, and he performs it very well.

I am not sure that David Blaine should be called a magician; the definition of a charlatan comes much closer. He relies heavily on tricks that can only be done in front of a camera. Particular angles and willing (and perhaps ignorant) participants are requisite for many of his “illusionsâ€‌. I have seen him do at least one trick that could only be done by deceit (or actually BY magic). It is easy to get amazed reactions from people on the street who want to be seen on TV, and judicious editing takes care of the honest folks. I haven’t seen him perform for awhile, so maybe he got more honest, or added some better illusions to his repertoire. I assume that he drives legitimate magicians crazy because he doesn’t follow the same set of rules that they feel obligated to follow. Just my perception.

Comment

Don't know about Blaine...but the last half hour disappeared...I'm late for work!!
                          Hats off to you guys...neat trick.

[This message has been edited by bobodu (edited 09-03-2004).]
                          If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

Working...
                          X