Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take it with, or leave it?

The shop building that is.

We are starting to develop some land out in the country, with the intention of moving there in about 4 years. I have a very nice shop here at my current house, and have been toying with whether it might be better to disassemble it and take it with me vs selling it with the house.

The problem is, I'm not entirely sure that it actually adds much value to the overall property. The building is a standard pole type metal building that is 36'x28' in size. As you know, the metal buildings look a little more "industrial" then residential.

The inside of the shop is really very nice. I spared no expense and have a bunch of money and time wrapped up in what is very close to my ultimate dream shop (except it needs to be bigger of course). The inside is completely framed, insulated, wired, plumbed, sheet-rocked and painted. Even the three large roll-up doors are insulated. With the exception of the main panel and taping the sheetrock, I did all the labor (on the interior) myself.

The place is wired for sound, internet, cable tv, four plex outlets every three feet. Bathroom, large sink, compressor sits outside in a shed, and has copper pipe system with drops every 3'. In short, there is a ton of money wrapped up in the infrastructure of this building, electrical components, piping, roll-up doors etc.

Obviously I will be taking all my equipment and machinery, but I'm torn on what to do with the building. I plan to build a new shop on the new property and was thinking I'd build the shell of that one first. That would give me a place to move all the equipment. Then disassemble this building and put it next to, or attach it to the new building.

I doubt I'd try to save the sheetrock, but the wiring, plumbing, maybe the framing, insulation, the metal siding, the roll-up doors, alarm system etc. could all be yanked out. If I do take it with me, that will leave a large concrete pad surrounded by a gravel lot. Not sure what I could do with this, maybe a sport court or something.

I suppose the black and white analysis is whether the overall market value of the property is increased by the amount of money (including my labor) I have invested in the building. As odd as this probably sounds to members of this board, many people do not want a shop building on their property, particularly a somewhat industrial looking metal building. The fact that the house already has an attached two car garage may further devalue the separate shop building in some peoples mind. Sure you could probably find people who would love to have a place like this, but I think that may be a smaller segment of the market.

We are not sure whether we will rent the place out or sell it when the time comes. Has anybody sold a house with a detached shop building? Did it in fact increase the market value of the property? Enough to cover what you had in the building? How about renting a house out with a shop building? Did you get increased rates over other houses in the area without shops?

Anybody disassemble and move a shop building? Was it worth it in the end? Another reason I'm thinking about taking the building with me, is that the price for building materials these days is very high.

Wayne

Wayne, sounds like we are in the same situation. I just listed my home for sale last week. 10 years ago I built my dream shop at a cost of something over $25,000. I have added $50,000 to the value of the property because of the shop. I am sure it depends a lot on the location or neighborhood you live as to wether a shop is desirable to sell or not. Where I live a lot of guys rebuild cars, do woodworking, and lots of welding shops so I'm hoping for that kind of buyer. I wouldn't dream of taking my shop down but maybe you have more energy than I! I think you should try selling first and if that doesn't work go to the next plan, if you have time. Remember, it only takes one buyer.
    I don't have to move so my attitude is if it sells fine and if it doesn't, thats ok too, but I won't give my shop away.
    Michael

Comment

I've had a couple of offers for my land and I keep the buildings (potential buyers are not interested in the structures, they want the land for development). Now that is a two story 28' x 48' dream shop (designed and custom built by me, 2" x 6" on 16's and well insulated block foundation and floor. R-24 throughout, second level floor load rated in excess of 125 lbs. per sq. ft., 37 110/220 electrical ckts., 21 air drops, triple glass and insulated doors - on and on and on the list goes), a 2,330 sq. ft. brick ranch home with 2,000 sq. ft. walkout basement and an attached 24' x 36' insulated and heated garage with divided 12' x 24' workshop in the rear plus a 12' x 28' aluminum yard/storage shed on a slab. A bit of a brag maybe but I hope to convey why a guy might not want to leave the buildings behind to have the dozers knock them down and trucks haul the remains to landfill. And too to point out that I have the option to have these structures moved and set up on new ground. No way would I want to rebuild them compared to the fractional cost of moving them. The poster can look into that option also. For example my shop can be moved (empty) from the foundation up for ~ $9,000.00 and a new foundation to set it on (same as original) ~ $8,500.00. You could possibly build you another 28 x 36, move all your machines etc. into it and then have this half (your present shop) moved in and set next to the other. How far the move is isn't a big deal - 5 miles vs. 15 miles makes about $200.00 difference (I had two different lots to consider), how high the structure is does make a difference as that increases the line handling costs (accounts for about $1,500 in my shop move estimate). Sometimes the route they take will be longer but with fewer overhead lines and traffic lights to lift thus saving you line fees. Maybe it's an option for you Wayne. Look in the yellow pages, estimates were free from two companies I got bids from - neither Co. was local (35 miles away) and the bids were nearly identical.
      When I was 10 years old my parents bought a very big house "to be moved" so a bank could occupy the same space. From the city to the country was only about 5 miles then. The move went about 11 miles and I'm happy for the experience I was a part of and the impression it left.

I had my place appraised before I built the shop and right after it was enclosed - new home appraisal showed a $10,000.00 deduct for the shop. Appraised value for property taxes went up by $20,000. due to the shop being added at that same time. Go figure!

Comment

As the yuppies and rubes move in around me, my shop detracts from the land value. They are developing 5 or 6 new homes on my street.

The zoning commission is quite interested in seeing me leave. Since I had some bad words to say at our last talk I expect the swat team with the next visit. (thier cure) I'll have a nice prison shop to work in then? right?

-------

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

Sell the shop with the house,it sounds nice enough to add a few bucks to the value.

Ya,Dave,I got people moving in closer to me too.My plan is to build a 20' fence made from crushed cars around the place,maybe even a city bus for a gate ala road warrior

Worst is by the time I get around to building my new shop there will probibly be enough people to bitch and complain to stop me,but thats okay,they'll be on my list.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Weird..

County's plan? to tax you right out..

Worked on some friends in Florida.. A million dollars tax a year on a dairy farm.. DOn't like it? move..

-

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-11-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Stube:
              I had my place appraised before I built the shop and right after it was enclosed - new home appraisal showed a $10,000.00 deduct for the shop. Appraised value for property taxes went up by $20,000. due to the shop being added at that same time. Go figure!</font>
              Yes, I suspect that is the exact situation I'm in right now. I'm currently in the process of appealing the counties latest appraised value, which has raised the value by $91,000 in two years. I suspect if I had a "regular" market evaluation done by a real-estate outfit, it would show the shop building as a deduct.

Wayne

Comment

My profile says I'm a Realtor. All 34 years of it. In Salem, OR. we have people asking for properties with shops, every day of the week. Buyers realize that getting new permits for a shop, often isn't easy. Hell, the neighbors bitch if you leave a piece of machinery on a trailer for more than one day. I say, let them stew. I've had buildings moved, but as stated before, moving of wires can get costly in a hurry. And they call it progress??

Comment

Artpro, keep me in mind if anybody wants to move to sunny Az. I've got a beautiful shop. And I also have a smaller shop also, both detached
                  Michael

Comment

Out here,the only thing that will devalue a piece of land is...the color of the tractor.LOL....no..really...If the wife were king,they'd all be purple.I traded her a brand new purple seat I bought off ebay ($10,no one wanted the ugly thing) for her old beat up black one.
                    Personally,I'd pay extra for a shop.A 3 gpf.toilet and reading materials would fetch a premium.

------------------
                    If nails are sold by the pound..why aren't screws sold by the turn?
                    If I got it right first time,everytime....I\'d have a real job!

Comment

Working...
                    X