16.4mm x 1.5 thread, such a thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16.4mm x 1.5 thread, such a thing?

I am trying to measure the threads on the spout of an Intertap beer tap. The peak of the threads mic's at 16.40mm (.6455") and the 1.5mm thread gauge does not seem like the ideal fit that it should though it may be, the shank is only 4mm long and my eyes aren't what they once were....
    Anybody have any knowledge on what this thread may be?
    If it helps I believe they are designed in Australia and made in China.
    I guess it could be a custom thread so you have to buy their accessories too but that would seem unlikely to me for a beer tap as there really aren't all that many accessories for beer taps...
    Cheers,
    Jon
    Last edited by Jon Heron; 07-29-2018, 09:12 AM.

My thread chart didn't have a M16x1.5 listed but I see there is in fact such a beast.
    Do you think my measurements using a cheap chinese micrometer and thread gauge would be close enough to assume its an M16X1.5mm?
    Thanks,
    Jon

Comment

Have you checked it against a M17-1.5? I would bet that it what you have.
      Randy
      Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Thanks Randy, unfortunately I don't have anything to check it against.
        Maybe I will take it to a fastener center tomorrow.
        Cheers,
        Jon

Comment

You were bang on Randy, good work!
          I just 3D printed an M17x1.5 stud out of ABS and it fits... like a glove!
          Cheers,
          Jon

Comment

Pretty handy that 3-D printer, hey Jon?
            Can ya print me a full keg of beer? LOL
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Yes it is damn handy! In between printing dinosaurs and unicorns I actually get some time to print useful parts! And a really cool RC plane!
              No it wont print beer but lots of brewing accessories, come on over and I will pour you one!
              I have a delightful Belgian saison that I brewed on tap at the moment and one of my favorites, Irish Breakfast coffee oatmeal stout is ready to keg tomorrow. In another week I will have my infamous Black Spider IPA ready to keg as well, pack a lunch!
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

Here is the sweet openScad lib I used for others with a printer, customizable for whatever you need.
                https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:31363
                Cheers,
                Jon

Comment

And the OD is 16.4mm. Just goes to show you that you simply can not trust OD measurements for a thread. If you want an accurate measurement, you must go for the pitch diameter.

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                  You were bang on Randy, good work!
                  I just 3D printed an M17x1.5 stud out of ABS and it fits... like a glove!
                  Cheers,
                  Jon
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    And the OD is 16.4mm. Just goes to show you that you simply can not trust OD measurements for a thread. If you want an accurate measurement, you must go for the pitch diameter.
                    Or at least assume that it is the next full number up...

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                      Or at least assume that it is the next full number up...
                      Yes exactly. Because of tolerances, commercial bolts are usually a little smaller major diameter than the listed size. Always check the nearest size up from the major measurement first.

Comment

It is not because of tolerance, it is because of fit.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

A few thoughts:

-I find it hard to believe that your 3D printer will print a thread to the exact size specified, or close enough to be used as a thread gage. Even if it prints it perfectly to size, it will change as it cools.

-A 3/8 BSP thread measures 16.55mm diameter x 1.337mm pitch.

Comment

I'm with andywander here. I never saw a metric fastener that was more than half a millimetre small on the OD, normally up to a couple of tenths. I also think it's 3/8bsp - try your 19tpi pitch gauge
                            Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
                            Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
                            Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

I am now printing a 16.55x1.33 to see if it threads on as nice as the M17x1.5, not that there is much of a difference there...
                              Cheers,
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X